Knobs glued on?

Updated
Stringtheorist
I want to swap out the pickups and pots on my Eclipse 1 CTM but I can't shift the knobs. I assume they're glued on. Can anyone confirm the likelihood of this and offer a solution to getting the knobs off without destroying the pots?
Pushead

Not glued on, unless a previous owner did something stupid.

The easy, cheap way to do it:

lTMg3meCCTY

Stringtheorist

Hmm... I already tried using a piece of string wrapped round the shaft to shift it but it won't budge. It was a brand new guitar when I bought it. You sure ESP don't use glue?

Pushead

Yes. No one uses glue unless they're stupid.

Stringtheorist

I have no idea whether ESP are "stupid". I do know that some companies do glue their knobs on, because I've come across guitars like this (at the lower end of the market, admittedly). I also know that these knobs will not move without risking damage to the knobs and/or the pots. Absolutely no movement whatsoever using fingers or other implements.

Stringtheorist

Once again you're posting solutions to removing the knobs of a STRAT which is a completely different proposition. I've been replacing knobs and pots on my guitars for years and I'm well versed in the skills and tricks people use when retrofitting and customising their instruments. It has nothing to do with strength. Forcing them off will break the pots. I've seen it before.

Pushead

That tool will work on an Eclipse, too.

I've replaced the knobs on both of my Eclipses with the shoe string trick. Would telling you that they're glued on make you feel better?

Stringtheorist

It helps to know that someone has done the job (if true), which was what my initial post requested. Doesn't help my situation, unfortunately. I could take a gamble on the Stewmac device but I may still end up wrecking my guitar. Thanks for the link, anyway.

I might get a luthier to do the job instead.

Pushead

If you don't have knobs, why are you removing the old set?

Stringtheorist

I want to put a set of Bare Knuckle pickups in. To do this, I need to replace the pots but I may want to return it at a later date to its present condition.

Trendkill

Are you sure the knobs don't have small allen screws in them?

Nicholas S.

yeah, I was gonna say that you might need to remove an allen screw if they are metal dome knobs and not the plastic speed knobs. Otherwise they should come off.

Stringtheorist

No grub screws. These are bonnet style knobs.

Gazmonster

^ lmao :)

Gfunk

Why did you glue on your knobs?

load more replies (3 of 3)
OutlawTorn

man up, use the tool pushead linked, or an old fashioned flat head screw driver, it breaks the knob, get replacement ones, there 2.00 each from warmoth and if the pot goes, which i've taken knobs off several guitars that feel like their glued down, and never have i broken a pot.

Gfunk

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I just don't understand why anyone would glue their knobs on.

:\

What kind of glue did you use?

load more replies (1 of 1)
xchumfiestax

I'm glad I clicked on this thread.

Post to Thread