Ibanez Edge pullup choking

Updated
ozzuk1
Hi guys got my 550 all sorted pickups and everything wired, however I do have a minor problem with the A and G strings choking out when doing extreme pullups I have the action where I want it which is propbably higher than most have it set I just like the strings to really breathe.. I was wondering if anyone with experience knowledge has any tips all the other strings can pullup till the edge hits the cavity. I think it can do a 5th or 6th on certain strings. Would I be able to get it perfect by shimming the two saddles of the A and G just to give them more breathing space?, it's more for the G than the A as i'll be using that more often... but I may aswell do both and have it 100% I cant see that it's hitting anything on the bridge or any of the pickup poles they are lowered enough to not get in the way so im guessing it's one of the frets maybe the tech did level them off a little when he rewired it... I did try shimming the neck at the top of the neck pocket so it would be higher at the nut but this didnt seem to work any better than having the action where I like it and they still choked out. I also added another shim to the nut to raise that a little, im just finding it strange thats it's the A and G strings and not the two middle ones... Any input appreciated.. I would like have have the usable full range the Edge offers... I also gave some more relief to the neck which seems to have helped and let me lower the action a touch...
zombieattack9

Could be fret height or something related to neck relief. try fretting the two strings on question on different notes, and pull up on the trem so you can start ruling things out.

I don't believe you should look at shimming the neck just yet.

I just re=read your post. Try ruling the frets out first. Start at square one and we'll go from there. I'm sure others will chime in.

ozzuk1

I dont think it's a fret issue as it's really strange for it to be only happening on the A and G strings plus the Tech also levelled the frets off and he's not some saturday boy.

I tried shimming the neck on the top part of the neck pocket this did work but the action was too damm high, plus its super weired that the D string which is higher than the A is completely fine...

It's not quite choking the strings its more similar to when your actions so low you just get a weired and annoying rattle/buzz that doesent quite let the note ring out fully...

I also forgot to add this only happens after the 12th fret but it's still jsut the A/G strings that have the problem...

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread