mahogany neck+body too muddy?

Updated
5kold
Hi there I am trying to decide the neck/body wood combination. The guitar itself is a custom neck thru body Phoenix II with a green burst finish, 24.75" scale, ebony fretboard, and floyd rose trem system. the pickups are: an emg 81 in the bridge, and dimarzio chopper in the neck. I am also thinking of wiring the pups to an on/off/on switch then straight to jack. My playing style will be hard rock/metal chugging (metallica), with solos, industrial rock/metal (manson/ kmfdm), but also clean stuff (metallica clean, and almost piezoelectric clean). My question is: What wood combo should I use with this guitar setup specifically to get clarity without sacrificing sustain? I know that alder is great for shredding because the notes don't get muddled together. On the other hand, mahogany is very hard/dense so you get sustain. I was advised by a friend to do a maple neck with a walnut body. What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice.
5kold

Thanks for the great advice!

>>takes time to read post
>>offers shitty comment

This will happen

captcoolaid

Ash or Alder will be good for this setup. Bass wood is also a good wood for that combo. Any other woods may be to bright and depending on the alder may also be bright. The Horizon for example is a alder body that is hard to tame, on the other hand a Mex Strat is 3 pieces of alder and has a warmer tone to it. I would try and stick with Ash. Are you dead stuck on those sets. I ask because with the woods you described a high dc passive will clean it up real well for good clarity.

5kold

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm pretty set on those pups. Is mahogany really going to give this setup a bright tone? I thought that ash had a really bright and almost twangy sound to it. I ordered these two pups for my american strat (alder w/maple neck) and will install them this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really digging the mahogany wings on my aforementioned setup. I dunno.

Dark Alone

Do you know where you are friend? :lol

5kold

I see now, where I am. I should have known from the subtitle "The Ultimate Internet Experience" that I was not to far away from what seem to be the comment sections of CNN. Thanks for the two good comments out of 8. For the rest, fuck you guys.;):evil0]:):(:x:mad::D|I:rollin:|:p:hat8o:confused::o:lol:\:eek::cool::rolleyes:

do I fit in now?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Justinschut

Or just adjust the settings on your MT-2

soonerfan78

Please, nobody quote that ^^ lol.

Post to Thread