EMG 81/60 installation

Updated
zodiac272
Hey guys, so I took all the electronics out of my LTD Explorer, and replaced the duncan designed with EMG's. New pups, jack, vol/tone control, new les paul style switch. I got the 81/60, new logo used, but they weren't used much at all, and I got the EMG wiring kit and instructions. Right now, I don't hear any difference in tone between the neck or bridge. The bridge pup sounds kind of bassy, like the way a distorted neck pup sounds. It's not tight and cutting, not like the EMG 81 i have in my ibanez or in my jh2 explorer. i double and triple checked the wiring, and it's correct. the only soldering req'd is on the les paul style toggle switch. It looks ok, and it's wired to the bus properly. the pots work as they should, but the guitar almost sounds like a 1 pup guitar. I'm thinking the problem is in the switch? any thoughts? thanks scott
zodiac272

Fixed:

i just rotated 180 degrees... the two lines from the pickups as they connect to the bus.

otherwise a very easy install.

I have an EMG 81 from probably 1994/95 or so... it's in my Ibanez s-540. I think the old one may sound a bit better, but they are very close. I just dial up more on the tone knob on the new EMG 81 and that seems to even them out.

overall, very happy with the work, but I like the look of the old logo better

scott

jmcdonaldva1

Good job!

I have a 1988 540S I am restoring, very nice guitars!
It is all stock with an Edge trem and IBZ\USA pickups.
I may switch those out for actives but haven't decided yet.

How about some pics of the Explorer?
I would like to see how she looks with the new EMGs...

deus ex machina

I like the logo on older EMG's a bit better too, I've gotta say.

Guitar God

I like the logo on older EMG's a bit better too, I've gotta say. I like the old logo better, too.

andrei

damn right!

how they fixed something that wasn't broke...

Post to Thread