bridge pickup question

Updated
loversmoon
I have an epiphone les paul custom that i want to drop an 81 in the bridge but not change the neck. Is that possible since one is active and one is not? i asked guy at guitar shop and he said I had to change both. if I am changing pots for volume and tone and input jack would it be possible to leave the neck non active pickup in there and it be functional?
brandono61cr

It might work , when I bought my MH-250 it had a blackout in the bridge and the stock neck pup . I it changed the sound of both and it was bad for both ( I think)

loversmoon

figured it might give issues to tone. guess its the classic 81/60 set up. i think the 85 would be too bassy in the mahagony body/neck/rosewood combo.

slovakzombiehero

i think the 85 would be too bassy in the mahagony body/neck/rosewood combo.

Wrong! Granted, my Viper is mahogany neck & body with an ebony fretboard, but it sounds really punchy and thick. I can't stand 81s in ANYTHING, though, so take that with a pitcher of salt.

loversmoon

anyone know anything about the 81x 85x?? cant find many vids on youtube of them yet.

slovakzombiehero

There was a thread about the X series EMGs a while ago. Search "EMG X series" or some shit and it'll probably show up.

antikue

Considerably less output than the regular EMG, thick tone (like 250k pot with a passive humbucker), tone control requires an active tone pot, which consumes battery like crazy. I'd shy away from the solderless system - IMO it's a pain in the ass if your guitar is not 100% compatible. Then again, if you wish a tone control of some kind, you need the solderless system.

Nagash

About changing pickups, you can of course put an active pickup in your bridge position, throw a battery in wherever you find the place and keep your passive neck pickup. I've seen this many times.

loversmoon

was just wondering as i was told i couldnt go one active one passive. I honestly got my eyes on Dimarzio Crunch lab with a liquifire in the neck. Anyone out there got this combo? If so is it versitile? I love dream theater and i play mostly heavy stuff but its always nice to be able to roll back the volume and let it sing at times too.

loversmoon

lol ended up going with an emg 85

Post to Thread