Baritone or normal scale ?

Updated
Nagash
What is the difference between playing in B tuning on a standard 25,5 inch scale or on an extended 27 inch scale ? I'm asking because they didn't invent baritone guitars just for fun, but I don't know the reasons. What is the difference ? Would a 25,5 need huge strings with crazy tension and have a sloppy sound, or anything ? Could you tell me the pros and cons about B tuning with both scale lengths ?
ESPimperium

Baritones are tighter, and mean you dont have a sound that sounds like mush.

But dont be fooled by baritones, you can have a good tight sound in standard scale lengths.

Id say try baritone scales first. I have a Baritone fro Drop A just so things sound tighter.

Nagash

Okay thanks ^^.

yearofthespider2k3

It all depends on feel if you ask me. I have a 25.5 that I used in B for awhile. I used ernie ball strings not even slinkies I think. I didn't think it was too bad. It was a little loose for me. I have been contemplating moving to a baritone for stuff that low. Or at the least getting a 26.5 scale. It could work very well but if you like your stings really tight then it might not be as ideal.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Nagash

I hate loose strings. But I'm not a fan of huge strings either. For Drop C, is it about the same as for B ? I'll develop a bit : I play most stuff in D, some in E, and for rhythm riffing, easy playing and recording I'd like a Drop C guitar. For many other stuff I like, I need to play in B. So question is, do I get a Baritone for both Drop C and B or is it better if I switch tunings on my normal scaled axes ?

yearofthespider2k3

I hate loose strings. But I'm not a fan of huge strings either. For Drop C, is it about the same as for B ? I'll develop a bit : I play most stuff in D, some in E, and for rhythm riffing, easy playing and recording I'd like a Drop C guitar. For many other stuff I like, I need to play in B. So question is, do I get a Baritone for both Drop C and B or is it better if I switch tunings on my normal scaled axes ?

I would say based on the fact that you don't like loose strings and that you dont like using bigger strings you may want to get a baritone.

Nagash

LOL Gfunk, let me guess... is your baritone a neck-thru ?

Gfunk

Unfortunately.

|I

edit:

I forgot to add it is a 3 piece neck as well, which obviously makes it even worse.

:lol

Nagash

What guitar is it ?

Gfunk

Its a Horizon.

I guess the only thing going for it is, that it is not all black. Because unfortunately it still has EMGs too.

|I

Nagash

Well, I'm wondering why you ever bought this (or custom ordered ?). I didn't even know they make baritone horizons, not seen one on the website. I'd be interested cause even if it's not your cup of tea, it sounds quite like mine ^^

Gfunk

I'd be interested cause even if it's not your cup of tea, it sounds quite like mine ^^

You wouldn't like it. It doesn't have a Floyd.

Nagash

LOL

It's true I'm very floydish but I can do without as well (one uf my ultimate GASes is a Les Paul Custom, to give just one example)

MV-CTM

Gfunky's is kelly hayes' old one from cold

Gfunk

Gfunky's is kelly hayes' old one from cold

As stated previously, I doubt Nagash would like it's features. Like the string-thru, red inlays, and non-matching headstock. Not to mention the numerous obvious construction faults.

:(

brandono61cr

could we see some pics ?

sounds like a awesome axe

Nagash

could we see some pics ?

sounds like a awesome axe

LOL, it sounds like we both are GFunks antis ^^. GFunk, start a thread where you post all your guitars you don't like and want to get rid of, I'm sure we'd be able to help you :lol

Gfunk

could we see some pics ?

I'm really not in the mood.

esp_gaijin

this is sillie.

anyhoo, imo main reason for longer scale neck is to improve intonation issues.

i find gibson scale 24.75" horribibble for any tuning beyond D-standard (not dropD ), which is 2 semitones down from standard E-standard.

typical "baritone" scale is B-standard and that is 5 semitones down, so is quite a lot.

fender scale 25.5" works for me down to about C-standard i guess, but that's still up 1 semitone from usual baritone.

A lot of bands/songs i like though are in Drop-C, which is D-standard PLUS drop the lowest string to C, so effectively isn't really much different than D-standard in terms of intonation issues for me, only 1 string going very low. i wouldn't do drop-C on a gibson scale but i'll do it on a fender scale.

but afer Korn and Staind came out a lot of bands now are going below standard baritone of B down to A, so just imagine a standard-scale guitar and trying to tune it down to A, that's 7 semitones below what it was designed for. the result blows imo.

string gauges resolve the tightness/looseness issues for playability,
but they don't resolve intonation problems;
you've got the bridge too close and virtually all your frets (and your nut) jammed too close together, to get good intonation.

imo - use the proper tool. if i'm only tuning down to C and own a 25.5 that's fine; if i'm only going to drop-C (which is D) then that's definitely fine. If i'm going to B and below, i want more than 25.5".

jmo.

Nagash

That's a very argumentative opinion ^^. Thanks a lot !

With a 26,5 scale, the string tension would be a bit higher than with 27, am I right ?

Riverrunsred

I kicked around buying a baritone, ended up getting a 7.

Nagash

I have already tried 7-strings, not my thing. The music shop here has had a Stephen Carpenter LTD for months and I played it several times, I just can't hold 7-string necks, they are too wide for me. I have small hands, but with longer scales I have no problems strangely. I can't play on 35" basses, but 27" baritones I can (strangely, I suck on Les Paul scales, wtf ? I'm wicked ^^). And also, 7 string configuration being simply a six-string with some lower horror is just unnatural for me, I'm much more at ease with strongly detuned 6-strings.

esp_gaijin

i like 7s too but i found i'm never using the highest string - i dont' do Steve Vai histrionics, and no longer doing any Korn covers (used to ), so i just had extra stuff in the way i wasn't using; baritones make more sense to me for downtuned songs, and a 7 makes more sense to me for playing an extended range - which i personally don't end up doing. again "right tool for the job" applies here for me. JME!

Riverrunsred

i like 7s too but i found i'm never using the highest string - i dont' do Steve Vai histrionics, and no longer doing any Korn covers (used to ), so i just had extra stuff in the way i wasn't using; baritones make more sense to me for downtuned songs, and a 7 makes more sense to me for playing an extended range - which i personally don't end up doing. again "right tool for the job" applies here for me. JME!

I will use this an excuse to buy a bari.

Nagash

Well I doubt I would use all seven strings anyway, cause if I take a 7 it's for the lower stuff, and playing very high leads over very low rhythm sounds very odd IMO, so I wouldn't use the extended range given, just as gaijin said.

Post to Thread