tuneing low causes bad buzz

Updated
woodddj
i have played ibanez guitars for the better part of my life. here recently i decided to join the ESP family, so i got a ESP/LTD VIPER 401FM. with my ibanez's, i am able to tune standard or drop C tune. and i have no problem with fret buzz. with my viper if i play standard i have no buzz, but if i drop tune. i have way more buzz than i want. i carried my guitar to a tech and he just blew me off and told me that all guitars buzz. i thought he was just being a dick, because my ibanez's dont buzz. i normaly adjust my truss rod and bridge height to my personal taiste. but for some reason, i cant get it dead on what i want it to be. is this normal for the viper series? is the earvana nut causing my problem? sorry for the noob question, but i really need some input on this matter.
dawg

Did you raise the string gauge from the .009's?

woodddj

no, i only use .009's. now i did notice a couple of years ago, i did put 10's on one of my ibanez's just to try them out. and i did notice some fret buzz. but i wasnt happy with the feel of them so i went back with 9's.

brandono61cr

part of it is scale length, the shorter scale has less tension so the strings will be looser = buzz.i would recommend a higher string guage (10's should work ,i have seen 9.5s) to offset the short scale.

Pushead

You play 9s in drop C?

For the first time ever, Brandon61 has a pretty good idea of how to approach the solution.

brandono61cr

You play 9s in drop C?

For the first time ever, Brandon61 has a pretty good idea of how to approach the solution.

dawg

Yeah, you need to get some .010's. The reason they buzzed on you Ibanez is probably because you were playing in standard with them. You may want to pick one guitar to down tune and another to keep in standard or close to standard. Put the .010's or higher on the down tuned guitar and the 0.09's on the other

Grindting

the thread should actually be re-titled, and simply be a warning. nothing to click on or anything, just a simple warning issued to guitarists, instructing them to undertake and understand the most basic principels of physics when stringing up their instruments

tuneing low causes bad buzz when using short scale length guitars with a light gauge string

FSM

Not only that, but playing in Drop C with even 10s is like playing with a spagetti noodle low E. I use 10s in E std... C/drop C is 12s or so. An easy rule of thumb is to go up a gauge for every step you go down. Also, keep in mind you will have to reintunate your guitar when you change the tuning that much. Chances are, truss too (otherwise you will have bowing).

Grindting

^yes, re-intunating your guitars is very important lol

:p

woodddj

up untill about 4 months ago, i have aways just tuned standard useing 9's. playing mostly 80's metal and hard rock. but i was asked to join a new band, and alot of the music we play is in drop c. so thats why im useing 9's in drop c. this weekend i will pick up some 10's and give them a try on my viper. thanks for the info on string tension with a shorter scale neck. i have never thought about that, but it does make sense.

FSM

Oh noez a typo, I can still haz a 20% tip?

Grindting

the O is too far removed, its not a typo. why did you kill it, son?

FSM

I just wnat my 20% =(

Grindting

can i give you the minimum of 15%?

Moxley

Omg. This thread. It hurts my brain.

Justinschut

i carried my guitar to a tech and he just blew me off and told me that all guitars buzz.

What the hell kind of tech was that :\

FaceBear

What the hell kind of tech was that :\

An incompetent one clearly.

Post to Thread