Question about baritone guitars

Updated
Nagash
Strangely, I have a small hand and short fingers, but I play easier on 27" scale guitars than on the standard 25,5" scale guitars. So the best thing for me would be to play on a baritone. Thing is, baritones are usually tuned to B but I mainly play in D standard (only one step down from standard tuning). I don't need low tunings. Do you think that with a 9-42 (?) string gauge, I could play in D standard on a baritone guitar without having too high string tension ? If this is important (because of the string gauge), I'd go for a baritone with a floyd rose bridge.
Gfunk

Yeah sure.

I had my baritone tuned to Eb and used a set of Dad 10s for years.

Sutekh

I have zero experience with this, but wouldnt the higher string tension coupled with very thin strings mean that a floyd is a very bad idea, leading to a high risk of string breakage?

Also, I think *gulp* schecter make a 26.5" baritone.. its only half an inch shorter but that might help a little

MV-CTM

I used 10-46 for d-standard on my baritone (27") for a while and it was pretty nice. I used 13-64 gauge for drop-A on the same guitar fwiw.

esp_gaijin

Strangely, I have a small hand and short fingers, but I play easier on 27" scale guitars than on the standard 25,5" scale guitars. So the best thing for me would be to play on a baritone. Thing is, baritones are usually tuned to B but I mainly play in D standard (only one step down from standard tuning). I don't need low tunings. Do you think that with a 9-42 (?) string gauge, I could play in D standard on a baritone guitar without having too high string tension ?

If this is important (because of the string gauge), I'd go for a baritone with a floyd rose bridge.
brian peppers, nothing you have said makes sense.

Nagash

How do you mean it doesn't make sense ? I'm kind of new to baritone guitars, I just know I play easier on these than on normal scale guitars. I just thought that playing in D on a baritone is very unusual because they are always set up in B or A tuning. Plus, I need lower string tension because I play with floyds, so I had really no idea which string gauge I should use.

By the way, it's nice but useless to suggest me any guitar models. I'm planning to order this baritone we're talking about from the custom shop, because it will be pretty weird. There are some details I'm not yet sure about, like the scale thing, but it's taking shape slowly.

Gfunk

I'm planning to order this baritone we're talking about from the custom shop, because it will be pretty weird. There are some details I'm not yet sure about, like the scale thing, but it's taking shape slowly.

I would be interested in the details. Please continue.

BroKV

Just have it setup in whatever tuning you want with whatever strings.

Nagash

Okay Gfunk, here's the weird axe's description :

SV shape (6 strings, right handed)
Neck-through
27" Baritone scale
Alder body, quilted maple top
Maple neck
Extra thin U neck shape
Ebony fingerboard
24 frets (last 6 scalloped)
Custom inlays
Pointy headstock
Gold hardware
Floyd Rose PRO bridge (recessed)
Gotoh tuners (or not)
Straplocks
Pickups : Seymour Duncan (bridge SH-15 Alternative 8, neck STR-2 Hot For Tele)
Controls : 1 volume, 1 pickup switch (with the switch under the bridge and the volume knob on the lower horn of the body)
Finish : trans red or trans purple (headstock) with black burst (front), black back and sides, unfinished neck. White bindings on neck & headstock.

That's about it !

Gfunk

Wow, make sure you are sitting down when you get that quote.

:lol

load more replies (1 of 1)
brandono61cr

i would buy it !

Nagash

I know, I'm not sure I'll order it from ESP. There's a custom guitar company in Finland (which is cool because I live in Europe) called Amfisound who make killer customs, and their offset V shaped guitars are awesome (plus, they also offer golden coloured frets and pickup rings, and they would find a gold cover for my tele pickup, which would work nice with gold hardware ^^).

I calculated the price of this custom on the ESP custom quote request form, it said something around $8800 which makes roughly 6900 €, while Amfisound starts their prices at 2650 € so I could order two or three guitars from them for the price of one single ESP custom.

I never know where is the best place to get customs... when it comes to metal guitars, ESP and Jackson offer the best custom shops as far as I have seen, and both offer nice shapes and options but they work for killing prices. Amfisound is pure metal guitar stuff, they do really 120% customs, and they really do whatever you want for high but acceptable prices (unlike 9000 dollars for a modded SV)

@ Gfunk, tell me, how do you like my dream guitar ?

kgry

Gfunk, tell me, how do you like my dream guitar ?

Yeah, how do you like it?

load more replies (1 of 1)
Pushead

Does this mean you're not getting a Horizon FR-II or SL-1?

Amfisound starts their prices at 2650 € so I could order two or three guitars from them for the price of one single ESP custom.

When they say they start that means the lowest you could get the guitar for is 2650, not that every custom costs that much. :lol

For what it's worth, I wouldn't put much faith on the online quote generator. Especially when you get into custom inlays. The price could vary by $1000 depending on the design of the inlay.

brandono61cr

scallops are only worth having if there cooked correctly:lol

no but really , some shops charge out the ass for that and others have it included in the price .

i think ESP's idea is ,if you come to them for a custom instrument your not worried what the price tag will be

have you looked at carvin yet ?

Nagash

@Pushead not for free, certainly not, bur remember it only has to be cheaper than $8800. And yes i was the guy who said he had to wait one year, here goes why : I'm a student. I chose a particular way to study engineering sciences, I have two years of preparation class (the hardest thing you can do in France, doesn't sound like it but it's horrible) and then three years of engineering "elite" school. So basically, I went through the first year, still 4 more to go before I can actually earn money. What i can do is look for jobs during the summer holidays, and this year I didn't find any, so yeah I have to wait one year. And the most money I can make if I work during both months of the summer holidays is 2000 €, which is JUST enough for a Jackson USA, or enough for a Horizon FR-II. OR I can save money from summer work during all my studies and get myself my dream custom(s ?) even before we find a record deal with my band.

@brandono61cr of course, a custom is a custom, but still I wouldn't pay that much for a guitar, especially since I don't work yet, I have no income whatsoever. Imagine, a very high-end guitar costs what, $2000-2800. Overpriced guitars cost around $5000. Customs are of course expensive, but IMO the only thing that changes for real is the word "custom". I'm not asking for tropical woods, ultra strange hardware, 25 knobs and pots, pickups noone has ever heard of... it's only that they will have to pay a guy to build the guitar, instead of running it all through a machine like they usually do. They can order everything I ask for from their usual catalogues. And I checked Carvin, not my kind of thing. Apart from the Gibson Les Paul Custom, I really wouldn't play other guitars than ESP and Jackson, they are really those who suit my needs best. And Amfisound of course ^^.

brandono61cr

@brandono61cr it's only that they will have to pay a guy to build the guitar, instead of running it all through a machine like they usually do. .

yeah but with customs what your really paying for is the highly skilled labor

and i think it was ether Pus or Gfunk who said you should seek out a local luthier, my best bud just started the process with one and i have not been able to get him to shut up about "how awesome it is" for the last week and a half !:lol

Pushead

Call an ESP dealer and get an actual quote, then get a quote from Amfisound if you really want to compare the price. I wouldn't put much faith in an online quote generator.

The little money you have might be better spent on recording and distributing your music, if a record deal is truly what you're after. Unless France is drastically different than the world I know, it isn't all that easy to get a deal.

And if getting an engineering degree is the hardest thing you can do in France, remind me never to seek medical care there.

Nagash

I'll PM you the engineer thing.

And yeah i'll ask my ESP dealer for a real quote anyway.

Nagash

LOL let's see if I freak out too ^^

brandono61cr

LOL let's see if I freak out too ^^

MAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

:evil:evil:evil:evil

Post to Thread