Tuning up an LTD

Updated
Sutekh
Hey there. I have an LTD Ax-260 (I really like the sound of it) and I want to fix a few small issues with it in order to make it feel less like an indonesian-made guitar :lol for one, my volume and tone knobs turn way too easily. (Like i can snap em both from 0-100). Is there any way to make that a little stiffer + smoother?(Buying new knobs?) two, my volume knob crackles through the amp very slightly when I turn it. anything I can do about that? three, a couple of the intonation screws on my bridge are very loose and rattle from the string vibration. What can I do to make them more snug? also, are there any drop-in fit locking tuners that could replace the ESP tuners on it? Oh and personally I like the sound of the LH-150 pus with my amp (a vox VT30) and am keeping them on there, but where would you guys rate the quality of these pus compared to your favs? :\ Edit: would a professional setup address any of these problems?
rjs

Hey there.
I have an LTD Ax-260 (I really like the sound of it) and I want to fix a few small issues with it in order to make it feel less like an indonesian-made guitar :lol

for one, my volume and tone knobs turn way too easily. (Like i can snap em both from 0-100). Is there any way to make that a little stiffer + smoother?(Buying new knobs?)

cut a piece of felt to go under the knob and body !!!

two, my volume knob crackles through the amp very slightly when I turn it. anything I can do about that?

clean with some spray cleaner !

three, a couple of the intonation screws on my bridge are very loose and rattle from the string vibration. What can I do to make them more snug?

tighten lose screw duh !!!

also, are there any drop-in fit locking tuners that could replace the ESP tuners on it?

check out planet waves and sperzel !!!

Oh and personally I like the sound of the LH-150 pus with my amp (a vox VT30) and am keeping them on there, but where would you guys rate the quality of these pus compared to your favs?

:\

Edit: would a professional setup address any of these problems?

:rollin

brandono61cr

yeah a good set up should fix most of your problems .

as for the lh-150 i really love it ! however i would recommend upgrading to a JB,C5 or a custom as the harmonics are weak on the lh-150 (great tone tho much better that the lh-300)

same withe ESP tuners i think they are FABULOUS ! far superior to grovers ( and a good set up make them even better). i tink that an upgrade in your nut would have a much more profound difference in tuning stability and good bone nut or a graphite nut would help your tone a lot more than you might think

Weasley

same withe ESP tuners i think they are FABULOUS ! far superior to grovers ( and a good set up make them even better). i tink that an upgrade in your nut would have a much more profound difference in tuning stability and good bone nut or a graphite nut would help your tone a lot more than you might think

wut?

load more replies (1 of 1)
slovakzombiehero

If you want real tone, get a bone nut made out of your own femur. Totally metuhl.

Sutekh

thanks for the information guys. I will be contacting my local ESP tech about a setup.

btw rjs, tightening the loose screws would throw my intonation out :p
but thanks for the other tips:D

load more replies (1 of 1)
Velt017

You really should just sell that guitar and take any money you were going to put into it and put that towards buying something else. The 200 series ESPs are kind of a waste of money as far as bang for the buck goes. The 350 and up series are really more the way to go.

In all honesty though you really should just save up and go for either a Deluxe model or an artist sig model as they are going to have the best hardware and construction and there are enough sig models and deluxe models that you have a pretty wide variety of woods and specs and shapes to choose from.

If that doesn't float your boat check out any of the Japanese jackson guitars. They come with hardshell cases and have an amazing build quality for ~$1000. I know $1000 seems like a lot of money, but upgrading cheap guitars is a waste of money because you will never get the money out of the guitar that you put into it and cheap guitars will wear out over time making them worthless. If you put some money into your guitars you will have something that will be worth a little bit of cash used if you decide to quit or just change up what you have and it will last longer and sound better.

idpmofo

take any money you were going to put into it and put that towards buying something else. +1000
If you like the sound with a VT30, its probably the amp more than the guitar/pups.

diadorastriker

Dont dump any more money into it. It is not worth it. GFS makes locking tuners that are direct replacements for grovers and arent that bad. $30 okay to spend, $100 not worth it at that point.

Post to Thread