Guitar sanding

Updated
acefecoo
Hey guys! Do you think it's possible to sand a flamed maple top guitar without ruining the beautiful stripes on it?...ive got an LTD M-100FM...and im tired of the see through black finish...a natural finish would be awesome so...is it possible? thanks
exhibit-sbt

most likely like pus said, youll burn through the veneer, especially at the edges. if you attempt to do it, just consider it training for future projects. id just do it a solid color it you mess up, save yourself a lot of trouble.

acefecoo

wow thanks guy...but the job looks pretty impossible now :D:D....i dont know if i should do it

brandono61cr

it's pos but it would might not be worth it because clear coats are thick MOFOs ! i would not even start if you dont have an orbital/mech sander . recent experince :rollin

yo push what ever hapened to that axe ? stripper always seemed to be a harsh way of getting paint off.

diadorastriker

it's pos but it would might not be worth it because clear coats are thick MOFOs ! i would not even start if you dont have an orbital/mech sander . recent experince :rollin

yo push what ever hapened to that axe ? stripper always seemed to be a harsh way of getting paint off.

Never ever use an orbital sander.

brandono61cr

it's pos but it would might not be worth it because clear coats are thick MOFOs ! i would not even start if you dont have an orbital/mech sander . recent experince

acefecoo

so the flamed maple top is just a veneer ?
i thought the body itself is burned or something :D...im dumb

fourmz

I sanded my daughter's M-100FM and ended up plowing right through the flame top its paper thin.

MV-CTM

when you cut through the sealer the wood starts to feel rough

anyway that thing looks sick pus

Pushead

Use a random orbital.

exhibit-sbt

thats what i use.

brandono61cr

well i know you want a natural finish but i might be cool to do like push said and sand most of the black off (leaving the deep black parts there) and then using a tinted clear coat with a slight yellowish tint get a more vibrant "natural"

just a thought ....

exhibit-sbt

lol he just had a new decal of the logo made, my guess, put on before the clear coat for extra niceness.

strngthbyndstrngth

lol he just had a new decal of the logo made, my guess, put on before the clear coat for extra niceness.

Actually it is painted on, before the clear coat ;)

load more replies (2 of 2)
Pushead

11ilM5O-QNs

Looking straight on, it goes to a really deep green color that doesn't typically get picked up by the camera, but it's the color I see most often when it's sitting on a stand.

brandono61cr

^^^^^^^^
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin

Pushead

Strngth is the man!

fourmz

Strngth is the man!
+1 Bills work is top notch.

load more replies (1 of 1)
LithelShrimper

Hey Phil (Or Bill, whoever sees this first), Was that guitar done with nitro lacquer? Or something else?

Pushead

Not nitro. I'm not sure what it was, I assume a poly of some sort, but Bill knows that stuff. I just know colors. :lol

strngthbyndstrngth

Not nitro. I'm not sure what it was, I assume a poly of some sort, but Bill knows that stuff. I just know colors. :lol

It's Urethane base and Urethane clear coat. The color is DuPont, and the clear used on that was PPG.

Post to Thread