Replacing fret wire

Updated
THEICON2125
Does anyone know the approximate cost of replacing the fretwire on a guitar? Because I absolutely detest the Extra Jumbo frets on my LTD and would like to have something smaller.
Beaten Beyond

Do you mind the width of them? If not, then you might consider getting a heavy leveling...that'd be a lot less expensive.

As far as a refret....depends greatly on who is doing the work, specs of guitar, locale, type of frets used, etc. But I'd say ballpark of $150 to $400 is fairly common.

THEICON2125

What exactly is heavy leveling? I just want it so that the frets are about 3/4 to 1/2 the height that they are now.

Beaten Beyond

With leveling the goal is normally to get the frets level while taking off as little as possible. By "heavy" leveling, I meant that the goal would be to take off a bunch. In other words, if you don't mind the width, then have a tech take off enough so they are 3/4 to 1/2 the height of what they are now.

Do you like to feel wood or are you pushing notes sharp? Jumbo frets definitely take some getting used to, but I have grown to like them.

THEICON2125

That sounds like what I need. The width isnt the problem, the problem is that it tends to fret out when playing on the 17th - 22nd frets. It also gets hard to tap in that range and it causes major fret buzzing. I adjusted the action and it partially fixed the buzzing, but it is still there.

THEICON2125

I have had the guitar since the begining of February, and I still hate them.

brandono61cr

I have had the guitar since the begining of February, and I still hate them.

OK then you should do the heavy leveling ! :lol

Beaten Beyond

You could have something whacky like a hump in the upper part of the fretboard, but I'd venture to guess you probably just need a fret leveling/crowning job done. And if you want the frets to be lower, just have the tech take off more when performing the leveling.

andrei

i think you should wait with the refret until you ruin these ones, since it's not cheap.

for now stick with leveling, like the other guys sayd, and a setup.
still, i don't think the size of the frets is your problem...

Post to Thread