Replacing fingerboard...

Updated
Mr. Wicked
So I dig ebony fingerboards... Though my favorite guitar, which is the LTD FX-260sm I have, has rosewood. Also a while back I posted about a fretbar being warped... It has warped back up. I was thinking of replacing the frets, Sam Ash said they can do it... Though I hear from others that doing that can crack the fretboard. So I was thinking. Is it possible I can replace the entire fretboard, frets & fingerboard to ebony & probably the same frets? I don't care about the inlays, as long as the main ones on the side are still there.
Pharaoh

So I dig ebony fingerboards... Though my favorite guitar, which is the LTD FX-260sm I have, has rosewood. Also a while back I posted about a fretbar being warped... It has warped back up. I was thinking of replacing the frets, Sam Ash said they can do it... Though I hear from others that doing that can crack the fretboard. So I was thinking. Is it possible I can replace the entire fretboard, frets & fingerboard to ebony & probably the same frets?

I don't care about the inlays, as long as the main ones on the side are still there.

it can be done...whether you want to invest that kind of money into that or just get a new guitar is your choice. But it can certainly be done. I just did it on a Gretsch at the shop and am getting ready to fret it. It's kinda time consuming which is why it's so expensive. This guy had us take his old ebony off and got Brazilian Rosewood...

Mr. Wicked

If I can find a place that does that, I'll pay the price. I'm all for making my guitar perfect for me. I love my FX & there's no explorer shape right now of any brand that has an ebony fingerboard. It's hard to find guitars that do have ebony fingerboards & the ones I find don't feel as comfortable as my FX or any explorer shape.

Does ebony make the neck heavier? My friend owns a Gibson SG Supreme (which I'm jealous) that has an ebony fingerboard, but that guitar is neck heavy & my BC Rich Classic Mockingbird with an ebony fingerboard. Both guitars seem a bit neck heavy. Or is it because it's 24 fret?

Pharaoh

If I can find a place that does that, I'll pay the price. I'm all for making my guitar perfect for me. I love my FX & there's no explorer shape right now of any brand that has an ebony fingerboard. It's hard to find guitars that do have ebony fingerboards & the ones I find don't feel as comfortable as my FX or any explorer shape.

Does ebony make the neck heavier? My friend owns a Gibson SG Supreme (which I'm jealous) that has an ebony fingerboard, but that guitar is neck heavy & my BC Rich Classic Mockingbird with an ebony fingerboard. Both guitars seem a bit neck heavy. Or is it because it's 24 fret?

very little of the neck weight is the fingerboard. The issue with your friend's SG and the BCR are more akin to balance issues. (That and the BCR being built like a friggin' tank. :lol )

The change in weight would be slight with the swap...maybe even equal if the right piece was used.

k0nrad

it depends...
my mx2 has... and probably white explorers by gibson have!

Post to Thread