Floyd Rose flutter stuff, FYI

Updated
johnny00
I've been trying to figure out why some locking trems flutter like mad, and other barely at all. i had an inexpensive washburn, and it had THE BEST flutter, so the quality of the trem didn't really matter as it was a cheapo. first of all, i have a guitar with a gotoh floyd that has unreal flutter! but my other real floyd rose guitars just didn't flutter nearly as well. two things that i found are super important to acheive maximum flutter. 1. the tremolo arm must have a nice fit. if it is sloppy in the bushing, that tends to kill the flutter. 2. and this one really made the big difference. i took the trem posts on the guitars with poor flutter and machined the V pivoting area deeper, making it a smaller diameter and super smooth V. that did the trick! maybe the posts just didn't line up well with the floyd, so the floyd is pivoting slightly on the side of the posts (hampering the flutter), so removing some material allowed the floyd to pivot closer to the center of the posts, and greatly improving flutter. thx.
Roidster

the one thing i did was add the 4th spring and that helped on my cheapo Floyd

Post to Thread