KH2 Neck Thru - Custom Shop - action height and neck bow

Updated
MasterOfPuppies
hello i was wondering which your esp kh2 action height and bow on the neck are. i remember when it arrives me some years ago i found a little buzz on the 1st fret that i solved loosing a little the truss rod. then everything was ok. btw the action wasn't that low.. that is years ago. strings were 9-42 ------------------------------------------------- strings 10-46 now i'm tuning and setting up the guitar to standard E after it was tuned to Eb for few months. i'm having problem with buzz again.. if i adjust the truss rod to perfect bow i have to raise the action or the buzz won't go away... which measurement are you guys put on yours?? i'm on the way to to make it perfect ;) thanx! :cool:
Beaten Beyond

With Floyd Rose guitars I generally shoot for:

.008" to .012" relief: I measure this with a straightedge placed between the D & A strings and spanning from the 1st to 17th fret. Then I measure the largest gap with feeler gauges between the 5th to 9th frets.

Low E Action: 4/64"
High E Action: 3.5/64"

I measure action with a rule placed between the 12th fret and the bottom of each string. When measuring I do not capo the first fret like some people, so the nut height is factoring into my measurements.

Some guitars can be adjusted lower than this and still play clean, but for my playing style/attack this is generally what I like.

--------------------------------------------------

With all that said, heavier gauge strings have a wider vibration pattern, so you could need a little more relief with the 10s as compared to the 9s. Also, keep in mind that truss rod adjustments affect action height and vice versa. You have to find a balance between the adjustments.

MasterOfPuppies

thanx ;) i'd like to have the lowest action as possible.

i have an esp edwards les paul and i can lower the action very low on her.

is it normal to have less possibility to lower the action on a guitar like the kh2?

Beaten Beyond

I'm not sure why, but I have gravitated towards having slightly higher action on trem equipped guitars vs fixed bridge guitars. This could be because when you dip the trem and the strings slack (and drop) it's a little more resistant to buzz.

Do you have a rule to measure action? I'd be curious to know what you have your Edwards set at.

MasterOfPuppies

i have a ruler to measure both relief, action ang so on. (the stewart machintosh donald duck) :)

the edwards is fantastic you could lower the action, have the neck straight as an arrow and have no buzz :)

FSM

i don't think people should ever use a first fret capo for the action setting; however, it is used for the truss adjustment. I capo the first fret, with one hand fret the 15th or so fret, and use a steel rule to measure the fret to string bottom at the 8th fret. My Jackson is out the factory at 1/50 of an inch and I keep it that low of a gap (USA Jacksons may have some issues sometimes with rushed guitars, like with mine, but the neck action is still as low as it gets). ESPs I think are usualy 4/64th i think. I haven't done any of mine in a while.

Beaten Beyond

i don't think people should ever use a first fret capo for the action setting

As mentioned, I don't capo the first fret either when measuring action, but I think the theory is that if the nut is not cut properly it could lead to improper bridge height/action settings....because it does affect the measurement.

MasterOfPuppies

yes, action won't need to fret the 1t fret- it would be a mistake doing it.

can anyone with a KH2 please take a picture of the height of the floyd rose -cavity ?

thanx

FSM

I can when I get home. You want to see how low in the cavity the FR is floating?

MasterOfPuppies

I can when I get home. You want to see how low in the cavity the FR is floating?

yes that

and if you can the gap of the action at the 12th fret ( multiple pics-views if possible )

thanx in advance

cheers

MasterOfPuppies

yes ;) that

and if you can, the gap of the action at the 12th fret

thanx in advance

cheers

MV-CTM

As far as the buzz, frets might have come unseated over the years, etc. could be a variety of things. Kind of hard to know without seeing it in person but it could probably use a fret level and recrowning if it's bad otherwise just polishing and some slight leveling might help a bit.

Post to Thread