Techies....how much neck relief do you like?

Updated
Beaten Beyond
I have read books by Dan Erlewine and so forth that have mentioned setting up guitars with zero relief (straight neck) or maybe .002" of relief. I've owned several guitars (well over 25) and I always seem to dial it in at around .007" to .012" (I dialed in my newly acquired ESP Horizon ESP FR-II at .010"). I've tried playing with less relief than that and it seems like I always get too much buzz. It just never works for me. I wonder how players like Eric Johnson and so forth get along with a straight neck. Perhaps they play with a lighter touch than myself. BTW, as far as those measurements, I generally place a straightedge spanning the 1st and 17th frets and located between the low E and A strings; or between the A and D strings. I use automotive feeler gauges between the frets and the straightedge to find the tightest tolerance (this usually falls around the 7th fret). I'm a techie and was never content with "it feels/sounds good".....OCD REQUIRES measurements. :)
Justinschut

I just set the strings as low as possible without it buzzing when I play

johnny00

I like the neck as straight as possible with little relief as possible, but I too sometimes have trouble with buzz when it's too straight. I think it has a lot to do with the fret work and how the frets were leveled. If leveled with the neck dead straight and the full string tension on the neck, you should be able to have acceptable buzzing with a .002" bow. theoretically...

Post to Thread