LFR problem

Updated
Metahead
yes i know, join the crowd. LFR problems. I have a problem with the floyd holding the strings. i put them in, clamp them down tightly in the saddles, and sometimes when bending, they will come loose. the string doesnt break, it just realeases them. is this because its an LFR and not a OFR? do i just need a new one?
ozzuk1

what type is it a lo pro style or under the fine tuner string lock screws?

I find the lo pro lfr's have a worse habbit of popping out but if the string isnt in properly it will slip out of any trem...

Metahead

:( ya ive got some grooves

Lefty_Xplorer

My low-pro has only popped strings out a couple times - my main problem with my LFR is I can't get the trem arm to stay tight!

I crank the collar nut down as tight as I can and the arm is solid, but within minutes it's loose and flapping around. I then have to tighten the collar nut down again, but of course it comes loose again

I wrapped some PTFE tape around the thread but doesn't seem to help....

Metahead

My low-pro has only popped strings out a couple times - my main problem with my LFR is I can't get the trem arm to stay tight!

I crank the collar nut down as tight as I can and the arm is solid, but within minutes it's loose and flapping around. I then have to tighten the collar nut down again, but of course it comes loose again

ya i have that problem to.

i think i just need an OFR... is buying one used a good idea?

load more replies (1 of 1)
KH Guitar Freak

Lo Pro Edges ( if that's what you are referring to) are notorious for that. Even mine doesn't stay in place, and gets all loose. You could try replacing the trem arm and its mounting stud with the Edge ones...

Metahead

when i have money i think ill get an OFR. arent there different kinds? i remembering hearing the best one is german made? i dont remember the name

ozzuk1

when i have money i think ill get an OFR. arent there different kinds? i remembering hearing the best one is german made? i dont remember the name

AFAIK there are three OFR's the real german oen amde by Schaller this is sold by warmoth stew mac and loads of people on ebay.

Then theres the FRT style trems as seen on the charvel production models, pro jacksons high end LTD's, some of the newer BCR's with ofr's are likely to have these korean trems, and the les paul access guitars.

These bridges have zinc saddles and while the tuning stabillity is as good as any decent trem many feel the poor and cheap metals make the OFR better soundwise..

Theres also aping floyd Rose which has a ping triangular logo on the bridge below the arm holder, they also have brass sustain blocks and are generally advertised as ping trems, olp used these for the MM1F not bad but the metal quality is in question...

I think the main beef with the FRT korean bridges is the zinc sounding thinner and tinny compared to the original hardened steel which probably sounds beefier and has longer life..

Had the trem on my Ran which is a Schaller FR Guitar is around 4 years old and has been strung numerous times no real signs of the strings wearing the saddles down, even when switching gauges...

Lefty_Xplorer

Nah it's not an Edge trem - no idea what it is, just the one that came stock on my LTD KH-202...

Metahead

so i want a Schaller OFR? does it have a good flutter effect? i remember some guy saying that some did and some didnt. i know i can do any flutter with my LFR

Post to Thread