ESP Eclipse Standard - Dead Frets

Updated
80sMetalDude
Desperate for assistance. I love my ESP Eclipse Standard however I just can NOT lower the action to an acceptable level due to some High E string fret issues on the 15th fret area. Looking for any advice. I can lower the low E to a nice acceptable action. When fretting the high E 15th fret and attempting a full step bend it will fret out on the 16th fret and instantly the note dies. If I fret the 17th fret the note this doesn't happen. If I fret the 18th fret rings all the way through, then on the 19th the problem is there again. This is the ONLY place on the neck where the problem ensues. I've tried every aspect of setup, neck tension, lower guage strings, bridge adjustments, etc. I have to raise the bridge on the high E side so high that it ruins the whole point of spending $1500 on an otherwise AWESOME guitar. I'm about to get a fret file and lower that fret.
Gazmonster

How experienced are you at fret dressing?
I would get a shop or tech to have a look first
:)

80sMetalDude

On it! :) Let you know how it goes.

80sMetalDude

Thought I would share the results:

I spent an entire day reading various guides/sites on the subject.

Went out to h/w store and picked up the following items:

Small Straight Edge
600 Grit Sandpaper
400 Grit Sandpaper
200 Grit Sandpaper
Steel Wool

Process:
Unstring guitar.

This next step is important before doing any sanding with a block. Took a level and set the tension of the neck as straight as possible so the only thing not touching the straight edge was the roll off section of the neck. This is the area of the neck that meets the body and past and is actually supposed to bend away from the straight edge a bit.

I lowered the action to where I wanted it and tested all the points where I was fretting out. I took a digital multimeter and connected one lead to the string behind the nut (on the g,b,a I placed it on the peg) and then I had my wife (who called me crazy like you probably will after spending $1500 on this) actually touch each fret with the other lead. Then I would test strings bending at each fret in the problem area (15 and up.) to test for problems. Each fret that closed the circuit I marked with a sharpie marker only in the area where I would buzz out. This gave me a visual for problem areas. Next I masked all the frets from 9 through 22 with masking tape (the blue kind that comes off real easy.)

Then I cut small strips of each grit sandpaper. A few passes with a block going against the frets 15 and up. Next I touched up the problem areas with 200grit a bit going WITH the fret (not against.) Next I followed up with the finer grits going against with the sandpaper strips between my index/middle and ring/pinky. This gave a light crowning action. Bear in mind I did any sanding very lightly and all of this took place in the "roll off" section of the neck that is supposed to be a bit bent away from the neck which seemed too straight to me stock. Then I polished the frets with steel wool, I ended up cleaning up all of them with the wool...neck was very fast after.

Unmasked the fretboard string it up, set it up, test.... rinse repeat. Do I recommend you do this.... NO. I just like handling my own problems and the end result was fanFtastic.

Happy! :rollin

swill777

I had to fix a few on my older eclipse too. I just took a small straightedge that spanned 3 frets and made sure it didn't rock back and forth.. on the problem ones that were definitely higher, i just marked the top with blue marker.. then when you sand you can tell you took it off evenly... took a few hours to do the whole job.. but the thing played incredible when I was done and had zero dead spots and would not fret out anymore.

Post to Thread