String Action Height

Updated
xZYRYABx
Can somebody please tell me what the ESP recommended action height at the 12th fret for the treble and bass strings for a properly set-up axe with NO buzz is? The action on my M-1000FM seems a bit high....the neck is almost straight with slight relief...but to get the guitar to have absolutely no buzz (meaning when I fret a note it rings very clear and there is "muting' of the clarity of the note on the next fret wire) I have to jack up the FR to where I can barely stick in a nickle under the high E @ the 12th fret (approx 2mm) and that string height bugs me a bit. I could lower the FR to where the action is fine (approx 1.5mm) and I dont hear any buzz from the amp, but when I play unplugged I can hear the string being slightly muted and buzzing on the next fret wire. I know some of you are going to say if you cant hear it from the amp then its fine, but as long as the note isnt ringing purely even If I cant hear it from the amp its not the ideal situation for a 1000$ guitar.... All the measuring equipment I have is a nickle (width approx 1.90mm) a dime (width approx 1.37mm) and a tool that measures from 0.051mm-0.381mm. some more info, Im using 0.01-0.046 strings and the relief @ the 12th fret when I capo the 1st and 19th frets is approx .127mm treble and 0.76mm bass. sorry for the long post....but please help!!
Munchy5150

In my experience it can sometimes be really hard to get an action exactly the way you want it and have no fret buzz whatsoever, you may have to make a few comprimises and settle for the most comfortable position to play with the best quality of sound.

What bridge has your guitar got? fixed or trem?

5150-Viper

In my experience it can sometimes be really hard to get an action exactly the way you want it and have no fret buzz whatsoever, you may have to make a few comprimises and settle for the most comfortable position to play with the best quality of sound.

exactly what he said, when you play unplugged its very difficult to get no string buzz with low action.. i think you need to compromise also and just deal with the fact that a little buzz may be there.

xZYRYABx

eh thats pretty much what Ive concluded....I guess a better-made guitar like my M-II can get much lower action with no buzzing .... I have an OFR BTW.

Ashley J.

I always thought the better the guitar , the lower it is or can go ; in the end I found its tone with height , and issues with low action , unless you have a guitar tech on stand by, to change it every time the temp changes : then get the best notes and tone you can out of your guitar; so slightly higher action is better . If the guitar is good , then it will sound and play superb . 

Jshannon3

My friend the string action heights are posted in the ESP guitar manual. For the bass side it’s 2.0 mm minimum at the 12th fret, for the treble side it is 1.5 mm at the 12th fret, now this is on a six string guitar, 7,8,9 strings are different and you would have to refer to the table in the ESP guitar manual.

Ashley J.

Thanks for the reply , I have just discovered , that gauge 9 strings allow for a small amount of lowering in the action . Probably the physics of a thinner string and the space it needs to vibrate . 

My point is that the Gibson I have bought has been set up with 9s and set up to almost feel like a custom shop model . Really low , easy to play , there is a little bit of buzz , but I don’t hear it through the amp . The notes aren’t choking out etc.... 

The Eii is Basicly a hot rod. les Paul , it came with gauge 10 elixir , slightly higher , but this does not make the guitar harder to play . There is a tiny bit of buzz from bar chords , probably bad technique or strumming like a Neanderthal. Once I reeled this un evolved ape like ! strumming technique in . Which both these guitars made me do , due to how well they respond with such a light touch , from my picking hand . It opens up your eyes and ears to more possibilities when every move or position you play . A little bit of your own voice stats  to form . 

Post to Thread