More string tension

Updated
Deadpulse
the tension on my EC LTD isn't nearly as tight as my EC-II. what's the best way to get more string tension without getting thicker strings?
MRE200

All I can think of would be to use a higher tuning, lol (Helpful, I know). What kind of strings are you using, and what strings feel less tight?

Deadpulse

hahaha yeah not that helpful.

right now i'm using ernie ball 10 - 52's in drop C#. it's not just a few strings that don't feel as tight as they should, it's all of them. I don't wanna wrap the strings around the tail piece either

Sixstringhotshot

hahaha yeah not that helpful.

right now i'm using ernie ball 10 - 52's in drop C#. it's not just a few strings that don't feel as tight as they should, it's all of them. I don't wanna wrap the strings around the tail piece either

I use a custom set for that tuning, 11-58. It's just a beefed up version of the 10-52 set. If you're sticking with shit you can buy off the shelf, Ernie Ball makes 11-54 "Beefy slinky" sets.

MRE200

Try bringing your stopbar (the single piece gold or silver thing, lol, I'm not a poet) closer to the body, ie. tighten the screws. Just do it in small increments, and re-intonate. By the way, HOLY CRAP! Drop C#? Are you sure you don't want to use heavier strings? Maybe 11's?

gorsch

By the way, HOLY CRAP! Drop C#? Are you sure you don't want to use heavier strings? Maybe 11's?

you do realize drop C# is only half a step lower then dropped D right. His high E is only Eb so a 10 is fine. Aswell as a 52 for C# IMO. You could use a 54 I suppose but thats preference. And he said he DIDNT want to use a different gauge on this guitar.

But to answer the original question I would say just take it in for a good setup. Did the guy that did your Eclipse set up the LTD too? Also if the LTD strings are older then the Eclipse they could just be worn out and streched out. Try 1 new sets of the same gauge and brand on each guitar, then go from there. My bet is that it's mostly in your head and the LTD just needs the same "love" that was given to the eclipse. I've been in your situation and it was just a better setup that left me thinking one had more tension then the other.

Sidivan

I use light top - Heavy Bottoms for this sort of thing on my baritone. I think they're .10 - .52

That way you get the tight bottom, but you can still play some lead.

Edit: I just re-read your post and that's what you're using... wow... staying true to my title today...

metalhobo

This doesn't pertain to this thread really, but today I put on some 11-54 (coated Beefy Slinkies) in D standard on my 25.5" axe. Feel real gooood.

Nitrobattery

Strange, I just ordered a box of Beefy Slinkies

gorsch

Strange, I just ordered a box of Beefy Slinkies

my bet is that you wont like the G string in that set. The rest felt great in half step down or even full step or dropped C. But the G was always too wierd feeling.

load more replies (1 of 1)
ZephMan

.10-.52's should be perfect for drop C#. I use .12-.52's for C concert.

But you can tighten the tail piece like mentioned above for a LITTLE more tension.

And +1 to gorsch, if your EC-II has a better setup it will have better intonation. Therefore having nicer pitch. You might associate pitch with tension.

I don't know if that made any sense but good luck.

Dilzdo21

10's would fine with 25 scale, you need 11's

StimoS

Yah in drop c# or any c tuning elevens are the lightest you should go. It gives the neck the tension it needs to stay "fit". Try straitening your neck if its bowed at all. This will increase the scale length between the nut and the bridge. When you increase scale length, tension goes up. I would seriously consider just getting the elevens on there.

Post to Thread