Volume Crapping Out

Updated
Mystievel
Before I do anything I want to know what you guys think. I have an EC-1000 (LTD, black, very beautiful) Which we all know has those "quick connects" or something like that on the pickups. When I turn my volume up all the way (which is what I always do) I hear a crackle noise and the tone completely cuts out. If I have distortion on I have to hit the strings really hard to hear any little thing. Then if I fiddle with the knob moving it down and then back up, sometimes it will work and stay put. This happens in any pickup position so I don't think it is an issue with the quick connects. My only other thought is maybe the battery is low and that is why it is doing this?? (Note, because it only happens when I turn the volume all the way up) It started suddenly, and I don't think it could be due to my crappy old/ half broken 1/4" cables. I don't really know, what do you guys think it is? I took I peek inside and everything looks connected alright.
fuzzymuffler

Probably the 9v battery.

Corrigan

Probably the 9v battery.

I doubt it.

Replace the pot.

DNAx

I had the exact same thing, but then just under max volume. Just cutting out and when you play very hard you hear almost nothing. I replaced the volume pot and now it works perfectly again. So I think you might need a new pot.

ScytheMan

contact cleaner?

andrei

if the pot is broken, i don't know if contact cleaner helps in the long run.
i think it's safer just to replace it.

emg pots i found to be of decent quality.

BoD

Before I do anything I want to know what you guys think.

I have an EC-1000 (LTD, black, very beautiful) Which we all know has those "quick connects" or something like that on the pickups. When I turn my volume up all the way (which is what I always do) I hear a crackle noise and the tone completely cuts out. If I have distortion on I have to hit the strings really hard to hear any little thing. Then if I fiddle with the knob moving it down and then back up, sometimes it will work and stay put.

This happens in any pickup position so I don't think it is an issue with the quick connects. My only other thought is maybe the battery is low and that is why it is doing this?? (Note, because it only happens when I turn the volume all the way up) It started suddenly, and I don't think it could be due to my crappy old/ half broken 1/4" cables.

I don't really know, what do you guys think it is? I took I peek inside and everything looks connected alright.

Mine did the same thing.
When you back off the volume a little does it start to work better?
I changed the pot and that fixed it.

Mystievel

Yeah just like a few of you mentioned the volume comes back in when you go down a little bit. Why would the pot be the issue though? You mean the volume knob or the entire thing that all the wires connect to as well?

andrei

the volume knob...

have you tryed changing the battery? (to rule that out first)

you may also bypass the volume pot (connect the pickup hot wire directly to the output of the pot), to see if the problem persists...

if you're not confortable with this kind of work (soldering / replacing parts), take it to a pro. (it's not rocketscience thou)

i suppose it's the pot also, if the battery is good.

Mystievel

Thanks you guys, I'll check it out :]

Tu Krazy

I like how this thread has alot of good info. I have an old guitar that has the same problem. I'm gonna see if I can get a new pot for it.

Post to Thread