Replacing EMG volume pot

Updated
DNAx
This might just be some stupid questions, but I would like to know for sure before I replace anything. The volume pot of my EMG set started to crackle a little while back and it got worse since doing the 18v mod. It also has the weird habit of having a dead point just below the maximum volume where there just is no sound. Everything is wired correctly and soldered into place with no where to move, so I think it is time to replace the sucker. I know there is a difference in pot meters with resistance. You have the 25k and the 500k, I think you have to use the 25k's with EMG's, but I'm not sure so which one should I use for the volume? Also, are there different types of volume pots? And if there are different kinds, which ones are the best to use? I use 1 volume, 1 tone and a 3-way switch in the rig, nothing more. So, if anyone here would be willing to help me I would apreciate it very much. :)
Pushead

The pot for an EMG is 25k, not 250k..

DNAx

My bad, changed it. :) On some Dutch forums they were talking about 250k and 500k, so I didn't know. :p

ESPimperium

250K, 300K, 500K and 1Meg are all for passives. 25K is for actives.

Mr Walley

Definitely sounds like a problem with the potentiometer.

You're supposed to use audio taper for volume and linear taper for tone. That is where A500K/B500K come in. I looked at my EMG pots and even though they come labeled with V/T they are all A25k ohm pots.

BTW. Ask the guy in the repair/setup dept. of your local music store if he has any EMG 25k pots left over from installs. I got some for free before I sold my EMGs.

andrei

you need a 25k A (logarithmical / audio taper) pot for volume.

usualy the tone pot is B (linear), but you can use it just fine as volume pot, if you don't have a log, main thing: 25k!

DNAx

Thnx all for the information, gonna go out today to buy a pot. Hope they even have one somewhere around here. |I

BTW. Ask the guy in the repair/setup dept. of your local music store if he has any EMG 25k pots left over from installs. I got some for free before I sold my EMGs.

We have only 1 decent guitar shop in town and it's new. Don't even think he did any work on any guitar yet so I don't think I'll have any luck scoring free pots. :lol

Edit: It's even worse than i thought, I went around today to see whether I could get pots anywhere and I couldn't find any pots in this godforsaken town. Now I have to go to another town or order them online.

antipole

I was just googling "audio taper emg" and ended up right here. I was looking if I could use my B500K volume pot for the EMG's volume. I suggest I found the answer right in this thread. Many thanks.

Just a side question how would I remove the nut that holds my pot in place? It is very small and not regular wrench or socket could fit it.

antipole

Many thanks to DNAx and Jet. I used the plier method and it worked flawlessly with scratching of of course. :-) The nut wasn't as tight as I had anticipated. Sweet!

I have some sockets but. damn they aren't deep-welled.

Now if only I can fasten the two stupid pickup screws to the pickup ring...

DNAx

That was it, pliers! xD I read it and thought "of course". But great that it worked for you. I'm continuing my search for those dammed pots today, so wish me luck xD

antipole

Best of wishes. If you couldn't find a 25k log pot locally, I am sure there are some over at the Internet.

DNAx

I just ordered one today, cause no one in a 15km radius seems to have the pot. It will be in somewhere next week.

antipole

Awesome . I myself need to find time to search for a set of quality screw drivers.

Post to Thread