Does setting the action lower on a guitar mess with the intontion?

Updated
Espgianni
hi......i just got my Mii setup, i want the action lower, do i have to set it up again or can the tech just lower the action? Whats involved in just lowering the action? truss rod and bridge height adjustments?
ozzuk1

If you want it really low, then you will likely need some adjustments to the truss rod, and possibly some fretwork done...

The tech should be able to do that, it's unlikely that your intonation is going to be really affected if you are using the same gauge strings...

However if the intonation hasent been done in a few months it likely needs doing...

Just go for a full setup the tech might do all of the above anyways...

LordCliffton

In short-Yes. But usually not very much. Unless, that is, it was incredibly high to begin with or at least ½mm higher than it is now set. I tend to use stock settings personally.. anyone can play with that & I figure that multi-million$ international guitar companies with respected luthiers and such that have been trained by masters(and are therefore now masters themselves) know a heck of a lot more about good settings than I do, noob that I feel I am at times. :rolleyes:;)

pj85

although every guitar isn't a boutique guitar set perfectly.....i've had expensive ibanez guitar and an Ltd Deluxe EC1000 that i had to take back because the neck was warped and couln't get rid of horrendous buzz.

i'm sure they know what they're doing... but for the sake of knocking out a load of guitars in one go the standards are just 'acceptable' - not perfect! i'm sure a smaller company would care a lot more about the state the guitar is in (setup etc) than a small shop catering for select customers...rather pay small company for 'look a like' that is 100 times better for sometimes just a little bit more money.

rant over!

(not having a go at you tho!)

emg32

In short-Yes. But usually not very much. Unless, that is, it was incredibly high to begin with or at least ½mm higher than it is now set. I tend to use stock settings personally.. anyone can play with that & I figure that multi-million$ international guitar companies with respected luthiers and such that have been trained by masters(and are therefore now masters themselves) know a heck of a lot more about good settings than I do, noob that I feel I am at times. :rolleyes:;)

Depends on what guitar company you are talking about. From what I have heard ESP does not set-up their guitars before they ship them out. They leave the set-ups to the dealers and I am guessing that some don't mess with them much.

I'm guessing that's why almost every ESP I have bought new has had fret buzz to get rid of. I had one ESP so bad out of the box that the strings were laying on the frets without even fretting them.:lol

Wrathofkala

Whatever you do, don't try it yourself if you don't know what your doing. Trust me on this :). Thank GOD my new guitars came in perfectly set up. Have a tech fool with it.

StimoS

not a hard job either way. Just DO NOT flex your neck to compensate for the buz. Make sure it has short bow, and your bridge can be wherever with no buzing. Depends on scale length of a guitar and string guage to depict if it will need intonation adj.

LordCliffton

Right.. But what I was mainly speaking about is say for example you purchase a brand new Fender Stratocaster. It comes with all the case candy and such... 1 of the cards is usually a small booklet detailing what height the strings should be from the 12th & 17th frets.. that's all I meant by 'stock settings'.

In short, everyone's setup will be slightly different according to string gauge and build quality. That's why all guitar saddles are not perfectly in line nor in the same position from guitar to guitar. Slight variances overall.

Post to Thread