Coil Tapping

Updated
Metahead
I'm interested in giving my guitar the coil tapping feature and want to know what is involved; work, supplies, and cost wise. it isnt just as simple as changing the pot out is it?
Metahead

anyone?

Sixstringhotshot

If you don't wanna buy any parts or drill any holes, you can convert your tone knob(s) into a coil tap knob.

deftoneskidd

what pickups & control figuration does it have?

Metahead

If you don't wanna buy any parts or drill any holes, you can convert your tone knob(s) into a coil tap knob.

this is what i was hoping to do. are you implying that i can change it without changing the knob?

Keep in mind your pickups also have to have to have the 4-conductor feature thingy. Not all humbuckers are splittable or coil-tappable.
im not a tech guy. :D i have no clue what you said :D idk what a 4-conductor thing is or what it has to do with what i want to do :D

what pickups & control figuration does it have?
its an MH 301 with active 81 85's. does that answer the question?

load more replies (1 of 1)
njrusmc

Metahead, active pickups cannot be coil tapped. End of story :(

The electronic signal from each magnet is electronically summed and sent as output through a single wire. Some passive humbuckers will have 4 wires: 2 input, 2 output. As such, each magnet has its own I/O system. Actives do that internally. Does this help?

Long time no talk, by the way. How is that 301 treating you?

EDIT: For the record, you would have to get a push-pull pot to replace your tone knob. But assuming you had the proper pickups, the modification would cost you less than $10 between parts, wire, and tax ... the labor might take some time as the wiring is somewhat complex.

Metahead

Metahead, active pickups cannot be coil tapped. End of story :(

The electronic signal from each magnet is electronically summed and sent as output through a single wire. Some passive humbuckers will have 4 wires: 2 input, 2 output. As such, each magnet has its own I/O system. Actives do that internally. Does this help?

Long time no talk, by the way. How is that 301 treating you?

EDIT: For the record, you would have to get a push-pull pot to replace your tone knob. But assuming you had the proper pickups, the modification would cost you less than $10 between parts, wire, and tax ... the labor might take some time as the wiring is somewhat complex.

oh *in love* she is amazing. i like everything minus the floyd rose, it either needs to be set up or i just need an OFR, cause when i pull up it goes out of tune, pushing down is just fine, and pushing down fixes the tuning problem pulling causes, but it still doesnt work right

other thing is my EMGs. not sure if they give the desired clean tone. but i would havent compared with other pickups, so it might just be my amp, solid state. but i think it might not be cause my friend gets better clean tone with the same amp.

with that edit are you saying that it could be done with a push-pull pot? or why was that included? could it somehow happen if i took it in and had something done to it?

njrusmc

Sorry, you misunderstood what I was saying. No problem, allow me to clarify.

You CANNOT coil-tap active pickups, period. If you had passives to start with, the additional equipment you need would include a push-pull pot and wires, etc.

Regarding the tone, try playing with the tone knob a little bit. EMG 81 in the bridge, combined with the tone knob all the way up on the clean channel = a really shitty sound. Dropping the tone and using the N+B or just the N pickup can give you a great clean sound. I use a little 10W solid state practice amp and it sounds just fine. Experiment with your amps settings as well. Consider the age/cleanliness of your strings too.

Metahead

sad about the coil-tapping. i wasnt saying that my tone was crap, i was just saying that i think it could be better. i use the b pick up and ocasionally the b+n and get great sound, both with the tone knob all the way up. maybe i will experiment with the tone knob a little. also might look into some duncans and see how they sound to me, cause i know its all preference

njrusmc

Roger that. Definitely experiment within your budget. I am of the school "EMG for life", but it took years to figure out. Good luck, friend.

njrusmc

If you want to be experimental, add a concentric pot and use each ring to control volume for each active pickup. When the selector is in the center position, you control how much presence each pickup gets. The wiring is a little more complex, but manageable. Another cheap mod for more options. I did this on my MH400NT, works fine.

Post to Thread