SD Blackout Metal Infomationz

Updated
Thrash
they say you can change output levels, where exactly is this switch? Do I have to remove the pickup to switch or what? :confused:
MV-CTM

they said there's a jack with 2 pins on the back where you can attach a switch

zombieattack9

the pickup fucked me up. i had the original blackout wired in, but with the wires, not the quick connect. i got my blackout metal last week and there are no hard wires for the pickup itself, only the quick connect, so make sure yours is already set up for the quick connect system. there is a little recepticle on the back, along with the normal quick connect clip. it is considerably smaller than the main quick connect wire. there is a tiny piece of black plastic that fits over the prongs, which leaves it in high gain mode. removing the plastic puts it in normal output mode. no instructions were included with the pickup inside the container for wiring it to a switch, so i dont know how you'd do that. however this pickup is just ludicrous in the amount of gain it has. ive only just now restrung the alexi up and tested it for maybe 2 minutes, but im impressed. same blackout voicing, little warmer, fuckton of gain

MV-CTM

you'd just wire it to a miniswitch with one wire to one lug and another wire to the centre lug, one position it'd be on one it'd be off, not too difficult

zombieattack9

my soldering skills are fairly basic, so thats news to me :p but thanks. the isntructions they included with the pickup are extremely basic, and dont really explain much further than wiring it up in a basic configuration. I know you can get them off the website but it was a little weird. I just thought there would be more documentation with the pickup

MV-CTM

the one that came with my 707 didn't even include ones for more than 1 pickup or a switch :lol

zombieattack9

okay.. more post op report

I compared this to a similar guitar (one pickup CS jackson RR) that has an EMG-85 wired at 18 volts compared to the alexi CS (the green one in the gallery :D), which has one battery. I used a fairly low gain patch and kept similar settings, well exact settings to compare on my amp (which is a little vox modeling combo..this isnt scientific so it will do).

The gain levels between the two pickups are insane. the RR's output level doesnt even come close. the blackout metal is just on another fucking plain of existence in terms of output gain. its just truly absurd how hard this pickup drives the preamp. its not overly compressed or outright uncontrollable. its still a high gain pickup, but its just..wow. im really truly impressed. I like active pickups the best, and now Im truly satisfied with one , on all levels, for the music I play. its just a great pickup, and for the money, you'd be hard pressed to find a similar alternative IMO

Justinschut

whats the difference you noticed between this one and the original blackout... you'd reccommend the new one I guess ?

MV-CTM

whats the difference you noticed between this one and the original blackout... you'd reccommend the new one I guess ?
the blackout metal is supposed to be the livewire metal but in 9v form and with an output reduction switch so it really shouldn't sound anything like the other two blackouts. If the 7-string ones are like the 6-string ones I can tell you the blackouts sound nothing like the livewire metal.

zombieattack9

key thing is the magnet is also changed, ceramic to alnico 5

MV-CTM

well it was always alnico v in the lwhmet

zombieattack9

I meant from the normal blackout bridge

MV-CTM

I'd say the key thing is that the EQs are inverses of each other

Thrash

Thanks everyone for the info and help. Gonna switch from EMG's so it's all good.

zombieattack9

I'd say the key thing is that the EQs are inverses of each other

oh yeah, and to be honest i think its a huge step forward with the EQ change. I couldnt be happier with that aspect

LordCliffton

Anyone played the Livewireâ„¢ Dave Mustaine Model's? Thoughts?

THANKS!

LordCliffton

Thanks so much! Been waiting almost a week for a reply.. and that was very concise & clear. Danka.

Post to Thread