Refinishing Maple Neck and Fingerboard

Updated
jamesw
Im aware there are about 3 billion topics on this forum already regarding refinishing necks, but none that ive found really address what finishes work on maple fingerboards. my problem is that the previous owner of my guitar has stripped all of the finish off the neck and fingerboard... which means that although it is lovely to play it does get pretty filthy. i am also a bit worried that being totally unfinished, it may be more prone to atmospheric damage. what products would be good to apply on both the neck and fingerboard? ideally id like a satin finish... ive heard gun oil is good, any other products that come recommended?
metalhobo

Im aware there are about 3 billion topics on this forum already regarding refinishing necks, but none that ive found really address what finishes work on maple fingerboards.

my problem is that the previous owner of my guitar has stripped all of the finish off the neck and fingerboard... which means that although it is lovely to play it does get pretty filthy. i am also a bit worried that being totally unfinished, it may be more prone to atmospheric damage.

what products would be good to apply on both the neck and fingerboard? ideally id like a satin finish... ive heard gun oil is good, any other products that come recommended?

Gunstock oil is awesome and gives the wood a very natural feel. However, it does not provide the same protection as a hard finish like satin or gloss poly.

deftoneskidd

from my other post:

matt b.

I went through this same thing for about 2 months. I have an '88 BC Rich Gunslinger w/ an unfinished maple neck. I had it serviced one time a long time ago but didnt ask what they used on the fretboard. Everything on the market is good for every type of fretboard EXCEPT maple! I know a guy who worked for BC Rich in the 80's so I asked him and he told me they only used pure tung oil. You can find it at Home D. or Lowes its about 15 dollars, and it will get you more than you will ever need. I did find a place online that sells 8oz for 9 bucks but they want 8 bucks more to ship it........yeah, I dont get it either. Well I hope this helps you out.

1point8t

Tung oil is great stuff, I've used it on a bunch of painted necks I sanded down to bare wood. Regardless, any maple fingerboard is going to get dirty from playing unless it has a poly finish over it... but IMO maple fingerboards look badass when they're well played. Gives it some mojo!

Post to Thread