Need some tech help on String Height...

Updated
Espgianni
Hey everyone, i changed the strings on 2 of my guitars and i noticed the action is alot highter on the higher frets(12-24) then it is on the lower frets(1-12), but its fine from frets 1-12, i have a esp m-2, and a fender usa strat, and both are the same...........what can i do that will lower the action on thoose higher frets? Truss rod adjustment? help im a noob when it comes to this.
The G.

did you change string gauges for your new sets? on the m-II, lower the trem via the 2 poles(hex key/alan wrench needed). for the strat, you'll have to adjust each saddle. try to keep the proper string radius while doing so(i.e: lowering each saddle screw a 1/2 turn for each saddle, 2 screws per saddle). also, if your strat trem also uses 2 poles, do like you did for the m-II.

then if that doesn't help, truss rod adjustment may be in order. look down the fret board, either face up or on it's side(playing position). the neck should have a slight bend(relief) downwards around the 12th fret.

*if its too much of a relief, you'll want to turn the rod counter clockwise
(*gray area, haven't needed to mess w/a truss for a long time) a 1/4 turn at a time.

i'd wait for verification/correction before turning the rod. i can't remember for the life of me the direction needed to turn it.

Fikealox

*if its too much of a relief, you'll want to turn the rod counter clockwise
(*gray area, haven't needed to mess w/a truss for a long time) a 1/4 turn at a time.

Nah man, if you want to increase relief you need to loosen the truss rod by turning it counter-clockwise, if you want to reduce relief, tighten the truss rod by turning it clockwise. If your neck is back-bowed (bowed in the wrong direction) you'll want to loosen the truss rod too.

andrei

do some reading on thuss rod adjustments before doing it.
there are a lot of articles out there and a lot of things you need to pay attention to; i'm not the expert myself.

The Guitar pointed the right direction.
i also just look down the neck and adust the thuss rod so the neck is almost straight.
(it does need a slight bow, but mine are almost straight)

i'd also say: first the thuss rod, then the bridge.

don't worry, it's not rocketscience.
good luck!

riku

go to the Fender website and get the instructions on how to set up a guitar. It tells you exactly what to do and in which order

Post to Thread