Sand my neck down

Updated
Mark K.
So I don't know if this is the right section to post this, but ah well... So I have a LTD KH-202 from '05, so it has the black painted neck (and the EMG HZ-H4 and black hardware). I actually don't like the painted neck, so I want to sand the neck down. But I don't know how exactly. I'm a little scared to do it, because I don't know how to do it properly. I've seen pics of people who've done it. Can you guys give me some tips or a photo based tutorial? Cheers, Mark...
EvenFlow

Do you tape anything off before you do it? Like the edges of the fretboard? I'd definitely tape off on the headstock and where it meets the body of the guitar for cleaner lines but I don't know if it's necessary elsewhere.

Haha obviously I've thought about this too and saw the thread. I love the shape of the neck but with it glossy it can get sticky after a bit of playing and I have to wipe it down. I'm guessing this would help?

MikeC

I taped the sides of the neck, where I wanted it to stop for clean lines and anywere that I didn't want showing. (Well, not every part, but you get the point..)

Mark K.

I was thinking of taping the sides of the fretboard and my headstock, except the sides of the headstock...

This will make it satin instead of glossy
My neck is painted, black, and I was thinking of sanding it to just bare wood. you know what I mean?

LordCliffton

don't do it.

if anything, do as matt parsons suggested and sand it to a satin finish.. then it can actually be repaired somewwhat...

OR YOU COULD JUST WAX IT OR SOMETHING TO MAKE IT SUPER SLIPPERY SO IT'S EASIER TO USE??

I'm assuming your hand is sticking to the painted surface hence the somewhat drastic sanding desire?

Dilzdo21

i dont think he worried about resale on a kh 202 lol

andrei

you may sand it down to the wood, allthou i don't see any reason in doing this, unless you want to shape the profile thinner.
in this case, i'd recomand to finish it, after sanding down, with satin lacquer, then sand it down again, just the top layer, with the finest paper you can find, to get that satin feel.

if you just want the natural feel, then i agree with the others, just sand the top layer of lacqueer down, with some fine sandpaper.

i've also taped the edges of the fingerboard off, before sanding, but i guess it's personal preference.

good luck!

Casey K

dude i do this on every guitar i own, even if they dont have the thick painted neck on them and just the clear..

i have done this a million times so it will be ok..
first thing i do i get all that paint of, like i said i dont like the paint feel.. i usually ues a scraper, just cuz it goes a lil faster. then i sand it with 250.. if i want to rehsape the neck, i do this now.. then i come back with 320 all the way up to 600, if you feel..

then there is a finish that you can get a sports athourity, called gun stock oil.. its a great easy finish that works real well and the more coats you put on the thicker and shinyer it will get.. but for the neck i like to put on one thin coat, sand it back with 600 and reaply once or twice.. but this is waht i do. i like a thine finish so it feels real..

dig

Mark K.

actually...I sanded my neck down a few months ago:P so it's all out of the picture...but thanks for the advice ;)!!!

deftoneskidd

most music man guitars are a gunstock oil & wax blend. best feeling necks i've ever touched. EVER.

metalhobo

most music man guitars are a gunstock oil & wax blend. best feeling necks i've ever touched. EVER.

Just thinking about the JP6 makes me drool.

Post to Thread