ESP M-II Floyd Rose - trem springs layout

Updated
Mullet
Hi guys, Just restrung my M-II... and it's all back up and running now but I am not sure if I have put the trem springs back in the right way. I cant remember if (when I took the trem cavity cover off) if the 3 tension springs were set up with one in the centre then the other two running parallel to the sides of the cavity... springs would look like: ||| or, If there was one in the centre and the the other two springs formed an A sort of shape around the centre one.... the springs would look like: /|\ Which is the right way guys? (I ended up fitting them back in in the A shaped option.... Thanks.
The G.

go ahead and run them parallel, theres not advantage, spring tension wise, to angle them.

Mullet

Thanks for the advice....

I have a mate who owns an M-II urban cammo...he checked his and they are set in parallel so all sorted now.

Mark K.

If I'm correct, ESP always put the springs in this order /|\; I got my KH like that so..
but like "the guitar" said, there's no difference

KH Guitar Freak

There's no right way, but usually you want the tension on the right side and the left side to even out...

I have all my trems set up with that /|\ order...

LordCliffton

I have mine all set up with ||| or ||||| order.

Honestly, I find that both methods, including the /|\ method, administer even tension no matter which way you look at it.

FWIW, EVH used to use this method: / \ that's right, only 2 springs. But his Floyd was resting on the body.

It all works out in the end.

Diurno

I think there is not a "right" set up....every style is good....for me, tuning flat D with 10-60, the best is |\||...strange but true!

Satch

I've always prefered /|\ but again, no difference...

LordCliffton

has anyone tried this way: \|/ ?

:rollin

ozzuk1

No but I have found

|| \ to be a very good method of spring FR trems, doesent seem to work wit scahller FR's though...

The above is especially good for lfr's I heard about that method from the JCF someone bought a gutiar that used to belong to Roope and thats how it had the springs, it apparently balances the bass and treble strings a little more evenly.....

load more replies (1 of 1)
Sixstringhotshot

has anyone tried this way: \|/ ?

:rollin

That's a bad idea because it only pulls from one point on the trem, so there's a good chance it won't pull both sides of the trem equally. EDIT: Oh, I suppose they wouldn't all ahve to go in the same hole on the trem. Still....ehh.

Also, EVH's floyd resting on the body has nothing to do with the springs. Most guitars need MORE springs to keep the floyd ON the body, not less.

mrclean77

did you re-string with the same guage?

I'm not sure how you guys can say there's no difference...I can go along with no "right" way or no "wrong" way, but there's definitely a difference

setting up the springs /|\ forces the outside two springs to travel a little thus providing a ltitle more tension

although I used the very old springs in my Ibby Roadstar II, I changed from ||| to /|\ when I went from using .09's to .10's, oddly enough, that spring change was the only change I had to make in getting the trem to even out where it needed to be

Bouncepogo

I prefer ) ( )

mrclean77

^Wha?

I prefer my bridge to look like this

________

. . . . . .

:p

BrazilianBootyLover

nevermind

Post to Thread