Refret Advice

Updated
jamesw
I have a custom shop fender strat, which i loved playing until i got my m-ii a few months ago... since i got the esp, ive totally gone off the strat- i find it comparatively difficult to fret notes... the frets on it seem almost non existent in comparison to the esp ones. Therefore im considering having the strat refretted. the advice im seeking is with regards to whether this is worth it- will substantially larger frets make that much difference to the way it plays? also, how much would i expect to pay for a refret?
Fikealox

In Australia you could expect to pay $350 for a complete refret (I think that's about 160 pounds). That varies a lot depending on who you go to, though, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.

I know for a fact that big frets make a huge difference in playability for me, but like anything, your mileage could vary.

Bouncepogo

Pics of the strat!

andrei

hey Matt,

do you have a guitar with stainless steel frets?
i'm wondering if there are any negative aspects in this issue.

more info on stainless is appreciated.

thanks,

andrei.

@jamesW: i'd refret it, only if necessary, meaning: only if the fretwear requires it.

andrei

thanks for the links, now i get the pros and cons about ss frets.
(wow, those guys on the gear page just kept going and going)

james, leave that strat alone!
it looks so sweet.
i keep my oppininon: if it aint broke, dont fix it.

congrats on the guitar!

and thanks for the info,

andrei.

ps: gonna order a warmoth replacement neck: ss frets, ebony fretboard, no inlays.

chevy Z 302

whatever you do, get it PLEK'd

andrei

i do understand why luthiers charge more for a ss job, than for a regular one.
but on warmoth, for installing ss frets, you only pay +20usd.
i think it's worth to try it out (i do need a replacement neck), don't you?

why are the extra expenses so low at warmoth?
don't they do a good job?

Post to Thread