strap lock question

Updated
uberwigget
I just bought some Dunlop straplok's for my ltd m200fm and the instructions say to drill both holes with a 7/64" drill bit. How big are the holes already? Do I really need to drill them? I don't have any expirience with strap locks so any help is appreciated. Thanks
MikeC

I have them on two of my guitars and I never had to drill anything. You should be able to just screw it right in, but the original screws aren't going to fit in the strap lock, you'll need to use the ones that came with them.

Dæmonium

Yep. I did it recently to my Horizon 3-4 months ago and you just have to keep at it with the screwdriver, even when it feels like it won't turn anymore. I was afraid that my finish or wood could crack from the pressure but it didn't, and it's solid as a rock now.

You shouldn't have to drill anything.

andrei

go easy on it and take your time.
use a good screwdriver so you wont f* up the screwheads.

when you take the old screws out, compare them (in length) to the new ones.
if they're not a lot longer, you may proceed without worries.
(in thickness (diameter) they should be close enough)

chevy Z 302

which ones are they?

If im not mistaken, to use them as dunlop meant for them to be then you have to drill.

buy schaller's instead, better design and function IMO. No petroding mount from not drilling the hole out and can put it in the case without any issues.

uberwigget

go easy on it and take your time.
use a good screwdriver so you wont f* up the screwheads.

when you take the old screws out, compare them (in length) to the new ones.
if they're not a lot longer, you may proceed without worries.
(in thickness (diameter) they should be close enough)
Since I bought the guitar used from a friend he took his strap locks off when he gave it to me. I'm not sure which ones he had on it. Theres no screws so i cant compare.

The ones I have are the Dunlop Straploks.

which ones are they?
If im not mistaken, to use them as dunlop meant for them to be then you have to drill.

buy schaller's instead, better design and function IMO. No petroding mount from not drilling the hole out and can put it in the case without any issues.
That's what it says in the instructions.

And about the schaller's. The store I bought them from also had them. It seemed like they'd be less secure the way they slide out. I guess I could go try to exchange them tomorrow.

Thanks for your help so far.

load more replies (1 of 1)
uberwigget

So the schallers dont require any drilling and the lock in place really good? I try to exchange them tomorrow.

chevy Z 302

yes

how would it fall out? if the pin broke you, if your not an idiot, should have the strap piece facing upward.

ie it looks like a U so obviously you would want the open part facing straight up so that if for some reason the pin failed, the U would support your guitar.

No drilling, you may need to put a toothpick in the factory hole depending on the guitar, ie cs gibsons

beretta9m2f

drilling would be required on the flush mount straplocks, if you don't want flush mount then get the regular straplocks. those dont' require drilling. Flush mounts are the ones that are recessed into the guitar body so that you don't see the receiving end sticking out of the body (as normal strap buttons stick out) Hope that helps.

andrei

it's just a simple woodscrew, don't worry so much about it.

usualy you can screw it in, even without having a hole at all.
i just pointed out that you should proceed with caution, to avoid small inconveniences.

jusy carry on with it and see how it turns out.
(if it's too tight/loose, it can be fixed, don't worry)

ps:

+1 on shaller, they're great!

Post to Thread