Replacing floyd with Tune-o-matic?

Updated
Monologous
Hello there. The licensed floyd rose on my LTD Ex-350 is bugging the hell outta me. It doesn't float properly, and is just a pain in the ass. I thought about replacing it with an original, but they're expensive as hell, and I don't really abuse floyds much these days. Is it possible to replace the floyd with another type of bridge, like a Tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece? Would have to fill the cavity and stuff. Anyone had this done? Can it be done? This probably won't be cheaper than an original floyd though. Thanks.
xdaynex

Hello there.

The licensed floyd rose on my LTD Ex-350 is bugging the hell outta me. It doesn't float properly, and is just a pain in the ass. I thought about replacing it with an original, but they're expensive as hell, and I don't really abuse floyds much these days.

Is it possible to replace the floyd with another type of bridge, like a Tune-o-matic and stop tailpiece? Would have to fill the cavity and stuff. Anyone had this done? Can it be done? This probably won't be cheaper than an original floyd though.

Thanks.

well for starters, you can always sharpen the knife edges and like hardly use the trem. i hardly use the trem, i like it for the tuning stability it has and i do the occasional push down on the bar. you can also block the trem by putting pieces of wood etc. a new FR original goes for around 150-200+ i think.

i think you can fill the cavity, but itz not worth it. so might as well buy the original(even tho you would have a slight space near where the floyd rose symbol is cuz originals arent symmetrical) but thats a small price to pay. you could also buy a licensed one from schaller or gotoh, many think they are equal or better than the original, but just be sure to find one that fits.

so ur choices are:
1) sharpen the knife edges
2) buy an original/licensed from schaller or gotoh
3) block the trem
4) pay like around 500 or more(im guessing) for filling the cavity and routing and all the stuff(if you get it done professionally)

Monologous

Yeah you're right. Filling the cavity is out then. So blocking it or getting an original or better licensed then. Hmmmm. I have some thinking to do.

Thanks for the halp!

xdaynex

no problem. btw-i suggest loooking for the trems and what not online cuz they would have better prices im pretty sure:)

Helldragon

The cheapest option would be the blocking... and you would basically get what you want - a fixed bridge... but with the locking nut and fine tuners ;)

___KC___

block it

maxdgad

tremol-no...65 bucks and probably cheaper on the bay.

LordCliffton

duct tape some wood to your bridge.. about 65ยข

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Monologous

I'm taking my thinking hat off now. Blocking it is. Thanks guys!

Metalmilitia306

you could always get a Tremol-no those work really well.

Thrash

Tremol-no or buy a new guitar (EX-400 maybe?)

Post to Thread