EMG/Blackouts Question.

Updated
Gil
both EMGs and Seymour Duncan Blackouts come with 3 pin connections. I was wondering if anyone knew if they were interchangeable.
savageshredder

they are
some cool shit

N3rdAl3rt

yes they are

Dilzdo21

wait what? blackouts can go right in?

failsafe306

That's some smart marketing on SD's part. "We make it so easy to ditch your old, outdated EMG's!!!" LOL.

I may have to pick me up a set now :)

ReigningBlood

They do swap out that easy. I've done it in two of my guitars and I think the BO's sound MUCH better.

load more replies (1 of 1)
MikeC

I tried them for the first time the other day in our local shop. They were in a descent Schecter and I played them through a Valveking half stack. After Fiddling around with the amp a bit, since the kids on there before had everything cranked to 10!, they sounded great. I plan on getting them as soon as I get some money and putting a set of them in my Eclipse. IMO they blew the EMG's away, but then again I was never big on EMG's in the first place.

gorsch

damn, now I'm curious. I just put EMG's back in my V. I couldnt find any passives I liked for it and I'm no too fond of the EMG's either. The best I found was with 2 85's. I was thinking about running an MXR 10 band eq up front to try and "mimic" my duncans. At least enough to switch guitars without having to do a massive change in my amps EQ.
Maybe I should try the B-out's. Heard they're "fuller" EMG's but I also heard the same about running EMG's at 18 volts. Sadly that wasnt true.

daddydoomsday

The only thing I noticed with the blackouts is that they get half the battery life of an EMG.

Emgs=3000hrs
SD Blackouts=1470hrs or something

Have yet to really try out the blackouts, so maybe its worth it. I've always had good luck with my EMG's though.:hat

load more replies (1 of 1)
daryl a.

Hello ! Have you ever looked into the emg 89? I have one and I love it. It does use a push pull for splitting buy what I really liked about it was that it wasn't so tinny sounding and it's very versatile. The 89 sound is like a 85 in the bridge but u can split the 89

daryl a.
daryl a. wrote:

Hello ! Have you ever looked into the emg 89? I have one and I love it. It does use a push pull for splitting buy what I really liked about it was that it wasn't so tinny sounding and it's very versatile. The 89 sound is like a 85 in the bridge but u can split the 89

Sorry just realized this was a very outdated post

gorsch

I'd prefer to stick with passive's but of course I'm always looking for something different. It's the curse of being a musician. You always want something new or different. My Dad (also a musician) told me "as a musician, you'll never be satisfied with what you have. There's always more"

Put

I'd prefer to stick with passive's but of course I'm always looking for something different. It's the curse of being a musician. You always want something new or different. My Dad (also a musician) told me "as a musician, you'll never be satisfied with what you have. There's always more"

thats so right ...... :lol

Mark K.

can somebody of you guys who have blackouts and teh EMGzorsz make a clip comparing eachother, with the same amp setting and maybe even the same guitar? that would solve a lot of questions for people...

gorsch

can somebody of you guys who have blackouts and teh EMGzorsz make a clip comparing eachother, with the same amp setting and maybe even the same guitar? that would solve a lot of questions for people...

that would be killer. I dont want to drop the $$$ on blackouts to be once again disappointed. I cant find any guitars around here that have them stock either.

Z mann R2

what about the new Metal blackouts? what's the difference between that and originals?

phil

what about the new Metal blackouts? what's the difference between that and originals?

Moar Metulz

TheDevilHimself

I don't get it??!?!? Everybody is suddenly interested in the Blackouts but barely anybody cared about the Dave Mustaine Livewires, which IMO are great active pickups for metal.

Nikopapp

It's called marketing, brother.

TheDevilHimself

It's called marketing, brother.

Ugh... so true.

Slipknot dude and Children of Bodom Dude and ugly fat dude who played in Fear Factory decades ago make big commercials and every kid jumps on those Blackouts.

I thought it was about tone. And that is something those Mustaine Livewires got IMO.

Monologous

How is the pricing on this remarkable product?

Dilzdo21

hmmm, seems the metal ones have way mroe mids and bass and they dropped the treble ,

B/M/T

9/7/5

and the regular ones are

6/5/8

which is def more my settings ,metal ones just seem overkill

ReigningBlood

I'm certainly not a kid but I used my ears to decide and the Blackouts sound better IMO.

Justinschut

I might be interested, but Im pretty happy with my EMGs so Id really like to hear them compared with the same guitar/amp/settings and if they sound much better Id probably get them. Would be interesting to hear anyway

CreepinDeath101

Do they make a Blackout pickup that sounds like an EMG in the neck position. I have to keep my 60 in the neck. Or do they pot and all have to be changed, since the tone control on my LTD EC500S shares both pickups. BO in the bridge'll be cool I think.

Post to Thread