drop c to drop d on floyd?

Updated
xdaynex
hey i have guage 11-50 dr strings and i was wondering if it is possible to make it go from drop c to drop d with the fine tuners WITHOUT the floyd raising up
EchoSix

The bridge will move. You will have to mess around with the spring tension.

N3rdAl3rt

The bridge will move.
he was talking about using fine tuners

and no, you can't they are fine tuners because they only have a small range, you will have to change hte spring tension

metalhobo

I played a Floyd Rose guitar that was in Drop-D. I wanted to play in standard-E, and there was just enough room in the fine tuner to get it that far (this was with an OFR).

xdaynex

i understand that i will have to raise my low e fine tuner to get it from c to d, and i dont mind it that much if the trem sinks or rises a wee bit into/from the trem cavity. i just dont want it to be an extremely bigg differece. cuz most of the music with drop tuning i play is drop c and SOME drop d. so i wanna use this guitar for both

NinjaDamo

cuz most of the music with drop tuning i play is drop c and SOME drop d. so i wanna use this guitar for both

on a floyd rose setup, its not really worth trying to do that. will be a constant pain in the ass every time you wanted to change tunings.

plus your intonation and setup will get stuffed up every time you did it.

just buy a cheap second guitar.

exhibit-sbt

Totally Youtube FloydRose. There are some videos that are amazing and helpful. I had no clue how to operate/change tunings on one, learned how to in one night. Never have to pay someone ever again.

xdaynex

truue but ive seen/heard people do it before. like they raise the low e fine tuner and then tune to drop c, and when they need drop d, they tune all the fine tuners. it does go up a bit but i dunno which guage they use. and i do have another guitar but i wanna use this for both

57Octane

truue but ive seen/heard people do it before. like they raise the low e fine tuner and then tune to drop c, and when they need drop d, they tune all the fine tuners. it does go up a bit but i dunno which guage they use. and i do have another guitar but i wanna use this for both

In order to do that you would have to have the guitar tuned perfectly without using the fine tuners. Since clamping them in the nut throws off the tuning ever so slightly... it's not possible.
If you have enough play, you COULD do it in theory, but I highly doubt you'd be able to tune it right. You'd have flats and sharps everywhere because the fine tuners wouldn't be able to give you enough play to compensate.

How do I solve this problem? I have more than one guitar.
Get one of those $100 Squier bullets or something.

load more replies (1 of 1)
metalhobo

Maybe get a D-Tuna?

exhibit-sbt

Ninja's right though... I have one in d standard and just picked up another cheap guitar for drop C.

sirsloop

Ain't gonna happen without setting the guitar up again. Your string tension will increase so the bridge will go up. Most drop D songs I play sound pretty decent drop C... fingering is identical etc etc so unless you are performing somewhere with other players you're the only one that would know the difference. Even using something like a d-tuna or a tremol-no doesn't work all that well. When you change the tension the other strings go out of tune a little. Something small and out of your control like the bridge/neck shifting is enough to put it out. When I used to go standard->drop-d on my FR I would still have to go through each string a couple times on the microtuners to get it in.

xdaynex

true you guys make a lot of sense and yes drop d and c sounds similar. and with the 11-50 guage it jumps from 38 to 50 so drop c is better i guess.

sirsloop

well... idk about better. Just sounds deeper and darker. A lot of Rage Against The Machine stuff is drop-d on the album, but I think it sounds sweet with a little extra palm muting and drop-c. Makes it like "Really Rage Against The Machine". I have my MH-250NT in standard tuning, and my Viper-400 in drop C. If I REALLY want drop D I can drop the low E on the MH down. If im just bangin around i'll use the Viper.

failsafe306

Absolutely not. Either get a fixed bridge or a second guitar.

indytruckboy

Can't you just transpose what you are playing? It isn't that hard.

LordCliffton

USE A CAPO on the 2nd fret.. end of thread.

LordCliffton

USE A CAPO on the 2nd fret.. end of thread.
+1?:rollin

MyApocalypse

no can do.
USE A CAPO on the 2nd fret.. end of thread
+1

fickle19

put a tremol no in your guitar - end of thread.

57Octane

^ Learn to read. End of the thread. :p

sirsloop

How exactly do you think a tremol-no allow you to go from drop c to drop d without having to completely set the guitar up? It has a hard enough time going standard to drop-d.... it wont hold all 6 strings...

ShreddyMcFunTits

what's the nice way of saying this...erm...

no.

Post to Thread