Floyd Rose help

Updated
Metahead
I have a problem. When i use my floyd my a string goes super low, like after i release it. Ive been messing with it, and now the A is tuned down to an E. at first i thought my nut was loose, like the screw holding down the E and A, but the E is fine. Whats up????
ScytheMan

Check to see if the knife edge on the locking nut is worn
(not trying to spam but the carvin website has origanal floyd parts if you need them)
you probably already knew that

57Octane

Knife edge on the locking nut?

Wtf? :confused:

The knife egde is on the base plate. It's where the trem meets the mounting studs and allows it to float because the edge is like a knife. Hence, knife egde.

As for the problem... I will just go ahead and assume you stretch your strings to get that out of the way. If you don't, you should start, it'll save some hassle. Going from there, make sure you've locked the strings into the bridge good and tight, but not too tight, as you can strip the string blocks. Speaking of which, you may want to check the string blocks, if they look ragged and shitty, that could be your problem. Check the cavity they sit in too, you may have bits of broken strings or dirt in there keeping it from getting a firm grip on the string.
Another thing you might want to check is the saddle screw. The smaller hex bolt just under the strings that hold the saddles in place. I've had one of those go loose on me before so you might check to see that theyre tight as well. (Don't loosen them and move them and shit cause you could fuck up your intonation and I'm betting you'd rather not have to intonate the thing again).
Aside from that... I can't think of anything else... aside from maybe the string fucking up.

Does this happen a lot or is it the first time?

Oh, and is it an actual OFR or a Licensed?

ampartic

You might want to make sure your saddle block is flush with the bottom of the saddle. I tightened mine on crooked once and the string kept popping out. If you clamped it on like that you've got to take the string out and snip the end off and put it in again.

Metahead

this is a new guitar, so i didn't string it. i got it used. you all sugjusting i restring? he had 11's in it and i have some 9's to go in. i know i would have to mess with my spring gauges, but i like 9's. this is my first experience with a floyd so i dont know all the technical words you use. could someone post a pic labeling the knife edge and the string blocks?

its a LFR

ScytheMan

Cheap metal that the Floyd is made out of then( btw sorry about the knife edge comment I was having a retarded moment:o)

Metahead

would 9's be too fine for the FR to handle? would they slip in the saddle or break when pulled up? is it an ok idea to put 9's on it?

ScytheMan

I'm going to say yes because if you look at the guitar makers website they have a chart they says which guitars come with certain string,ie gauges a non trem usually comes with 10-46 and a trem equipped guitar will come with 9-42. Basically what I'm saying is do it won't hurt it:p

ScytheMan

but you may want to take the fourth spring off

57Octane

Yeah with 9's you should only need 3 springs. And they should be fine. As long as your string blocks aren't FUBARed.

Metahead

haha FUBAR I love that movie, and no they arnt FUBAR they are Elixers

my biggest confussion is y only one string is messed up. could it be something about the string? like if i replaced it it would be fine? i dont want to replace them if it didnt have a good chance of helping because im low on money and plan on taking it to guitar center saterday, and he would replace the strings, and charge me for them. So i would take him the elixers and tell him to use those. Should i replace them, or just not use the floyd and wait for saterday.

ScytheMan

post some close up pics of the bridge so we can see whats wrong

57Octane

So your taking it to get fixed right? To get set up and restrung and all that?
If you are, then just wait and tell the Tech your problem when you take it to him. He should be able to tell you whats up and fix it for you.

Metahead

problem fixed.

i dont know y i thought of this, but i took the problem string out of the saddle and the end was kinda frayed, unraveling kinda. so i lowered the tuning on the tuning machines on the head far enough that i had extra length. then i recut the bottom and re inserted it. now its cool.

the thing still goes slightly out of tune, but that is to be expected with a LFR right? it also be that the strings on it are new and are still streaching. so its all cool now

ampartic

problem fixed.

i dont know y i thought of this, but i took the problem string out of the saddle and the end was kinda frayed, unraveling kinda. so i lowered the tuning on the tuning machines on the head far enough that i had extra length. then i recut the bottom and re inserted it. now its cool.

the thing still goes slightly out of tune, but that is to be expected with a LFR right? it also be that the strings on it are new and are still streaching. so its all cool now

I thought that might be the problem, glad to hear you took my advise!

If it's a new set of strings it will go slightly out of tune first till the strings stretch in then you should be just fine.

nicknuisance

It was totally setup and working fine when i sent it to you, lol!

Metahead

idk, something must have happened in the mail. thanks for the guitar nick.

LordCliffton

STRETCH YOUR STRINGS OUT. They aren't supposed to just "go out of tune until they stretch themselves"... wtf.
TAKE ACTION and do the stretching yourself.

Then it should really be ready to go when you do the final tune up & lock up the nut. After that, it's simple fine tuning at the bridge.

LFR are actually almost as good as OFR.. However as stated they sometimes are made of cheaper metals. But seeing as they both operate under the same physics.. cheaper metals should NOT affect its tuning stability ... not nearly as much as USER ERROR.

Something else to consider is that since a LFR is not the OFR,, that particular manufacturer may only be using some of the techniques of the actual OFR. Meaning that the LFR brigde may have the fine tuners but it might not be double locking. So look before you leap as all LFR are most definitely not created equal.

Good Luck!

ampartic

STRETCH YOUR STRINGS OUT. They aren't supposed to just "go out of tune until they stretch themselves"... wtf.
TAKE ACTION and do the stretching yourself.

Then it should really be ready to go when you do the final tune up & lock up the nut. After that, it's simple fine tuning at the bridge.

LFR are actually almost as good as OFR.. However as stated they sometimes are made of cheaper metals. But seeing as they both operate under the same physics.. cheaper metals should NOT affect its tuning stability ... not nearly as much as USER ERROR.

Something else to consider is that since a LFR is not the OFR,, that particular manufacturer may only be using some of the techniques of the actual OFR. Meaning that the LFR brigde may have the fine tuners but it might not be double locking. So look before you leap as all LFR are most definitely not created equal.

Good Luck!

:o looks like someone hasn't been paying attention :o he said it's ONE string douche bag and thanks to me it's working fine now so bugger off.

Metalmilitia306

it could also be that the string isnt put in all the way. because that happened to me before, and when i changed the string it worked fine.

LordCliffton

/\/\ way to over-react, douchebag? what a mighty fucktard thou art-I notice modesty isn't 1 of your virtues... *rolls eyes*

ampartic

what a mighty fucktard thou art-I notice modesty isn't 1 of your virtues... *rolls eyes*

Why thank you! Modesty isn't a virtue oh Holy One, it's a weakness. It doesn't get you jobs, it doesn't get you pussy and at the end of the day you can sleep well knowing you fucked yourself over.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread