Lots of Noise/Hiss

Updated
Nostradamus
Hey, I'm getting a lot of background noise when running the lead channel on my amp. I'm only using a couple of effects: Dunlop Wah, MXR phase 90, Boss Chorus, and I am using a MXR smart gate. No FX loop, just guitar into pedals, into amp. I have tried a bunch of settings on the smart gate and while they all effect how reactive it is to the guitar, none of them seem to do anything about the background hiss when I'm not playing anything. I would guess a bad cable but I would think that would effect the clean channel also and I am only getting noise on the lead channel. Any suggestions?
Nostradamus

Just tried the same effects set up through my line 6 practice amp and had no problems at all. Is there any way of fixing this on my main amp? I only have the gain at 12 o'clock on the lead channel and even playing at very low volumes there is a very audible hiss.

Gravy Tank

Hmm, well first off, what amp are you playing through? If you have a tube amp it wouldnt hurt to check your preamp tubes, even though hissing isn't a characteristic of a dying preamp tube, as far as I know. Also, try running the smart gate in your loop . Try putting the Phase 90 and the Chorus in the loop as well. That would take care of any noise from the preamp, which sounds like thats where your problem is coming from. Hope that helps :D

Nostradamus

I'm afraid it's a solid state with no effects loop...

Gravy Tank

I'm afraid it's a solid state with no effects loop...

In that case, try running just one pedal at a time and see if the hiss is coming from one of the pedals. If you find it only hisses with certain pedals in front of the amp, try replacing the batteries in the pedals, or consider buying a proper power supply for them. If it hisses without pedals, then I'm afraid it's just your amp. Make sure all your cables are connected right and all that jazz too.

DeathrollJM

some amps/distortions have more hiss than you are comfortable with, line6 and other digital amps are usually dead silent compared to the standard analog solid state amps.

if you have an fx loop, you should put the gate there.

Nostradamus

I run the pedals off a power supply (Dunlop power brick) so shouldnt be a power issue.
It does hiss a little without the pedals but much more with them. I'll try each individually and see if I can isolate the problem.

Post to Thread