Testing pup output?

Updated
57Octane
Okay, I've got a new Floyd Rose comming in the mail for my 202. I'm trying to get it back up to playable condition. So, now of coarse, the neck pup shits out. I'm not sure what's wrong. Assuming it's not disconnected (I'll check it when I take the strings off later) I'd like to know how to test it. I just want to test the pup itself, not the switch or anything. I want to isolate the output of the pup and see if it's putting out. I'm just not sure how exactly to do that. Anybody got any advice? :D
TheDevilHimself

Plug it in to an amp and tap the pole pieces with a little metal object like a screwdriver. If it is working, there should be a "clonk" coming out of each coil.

57Octane

Yeah I know that. I ment, disconnecting it from all the other junk and testing it's output all by itself. I don't know how to wire it, so as to bypass the switch and get just the neck pup.

load more replies (1 of 1)
DeathrollJM

don't worry about rewiring to test just disconnect the pickup and use a multimeter to see if there is a circuit going through the pickup, depending on the strength of the return signal would give you an output rating. if it deviates a tad bit, you should check the ohm rating and you should see a rating, if so the pickup is perfectly fine, if you have problems with it cutting out then it would be a sign of bad soldering.

DeathrollJM

^still sounds like the wiring not the pup itself

57Octane

Well I was thinking it might be a cut in the wire or something. I guess I'll pull it all the way apart and check.

load more replies (1 of 1)
DeathrollJM

okay and you should mentioned that you had an EMG earlier, sinse there are internal chips inside that can go bad, i was referring early that it is almost impossible for a passive to go dead, but then again since it is an EMG (even though its still passive) there are other parts inside that can go bad, ruing the pickup.

57Octane

So pretty much some... 50 cent chip can randomly FUBAR a $75 dollar pup? That sucks... :x

DeathrollJM

yup, thats not typical for an EMG though, how long have you had the guitar?

57Octane

About 3 years. It just went out on me toward the end of last year.
I didn't play it that often. The LFR was so crap that it was almost unplayable, so it's been in the case for the better part of 2 years. I took it out from time to time to mess with but it pretty much stayed there.

Post to Thread