Getting the paint up to scratch - esp explorer

Updated
Gwedo
I have an esp explorer thats been played a fair bit......the way it should be ;) ..and has a few dings and pick swirls/mist to the paint. To fix the chips i will use black nail varnish, used it on my old explorer and its a great match but for the swirl mist in the finish im not so sure :-/ Im thinking of using car paint restorer we call it T-cut in the UK but not sure if thats what its called in the US. Any opinions? i have some jim dunop guitar wax and cleaner which may help but yet to try it. Thanks gwedo
tee5150ii

Pick swirls are a bitch to get out. I would go with the car thing as you mention, but something along the lines of a clear-coat intended product specifically designed to deal with clear coats since your pick swirls are probably not down to the paint. I've used something made by 3M called Perfect-It that is designed to be used by a hand buffer or by hand to get out swirl marks on cars...I had used it when repainting a guitar and after the wet-sanding with the 1500+ girt sandpaper you go over it with the Perfect-It stuff and it knocks em out...so on and so forth. But yeah, something made for cars is technically usable in your situation. Hope that helps.

wherever-i-roam

i used some car polish on my KH-2 and it made it shine like a bitch, didnt remove all the light surface scratches but did a good job.

i dunno about T-cut, i was gonna use some of that but was unsure how good it was, aka would it take all the clear coat off seeing as its ment for cars.

Post to Thread