Hiss/Noise With Actives

Updated
markheus
Hey guys - Just bought a M-1000 over the internet from a dealer. I'd played one before so I knew what to expect ahead of time and everything is great but I have a bit of a problem. I'm getting a lot of noise on any channel with even a minimum of distortion. Its a medium pitch background hiss that changes with the orientation of the guitar (though even at its lowest its still very noticeable.) I've changed batteries, cables, etc. I've turned off all the lights in my room and turned off the computer and printer. The only thing electronic in the room is a 1970's flip clock radio ;) I've plugged it into my crate amp and also into the input of my gnx4 and its noticeable and displays the same characteristics. I've installed a brand new battery and opened the electronics cover to make sure there were no loose or touching wires but that's really all I can think of. I'm going to borrow a buddy's gax 70 tonight to see if it does the same thing but he was here a couple weeks ago and I don't remember it being like that. (could be wrong though) I'm not sure where to go from here - is it possible it could be miswired? I haven't contacted ESP support yet but that may be my next option. ANy advice on troubleshooting further?
markheus

Update: Just compared it to a GAX70 (entry level SG clone by Ibanez) and the Ibanez is as quiet as can be compared to mine. I'm pretty sure there's a mistake in the wiring somewhere. If it wasn't brand new I'd attempt to fix it myself. Since its new I'm gonna shoot ESP an email.

Thanks!

daddydoomsday

Hey guys - Just bought a M-1000 over the internet from a dealer. I'd played one before so I knew what to expect ahead of time and everything is great but I have a bit of a problem.

I'm getting a lot of noise on any channel with even a minimum of distortion. Its a medium pitch background hiss that changes with the orientation of the guitar (though even at its lowest its still very noticeable.) I've changed batteries, cables, etc. I've turned off all the lights in my room and turned off the computer and printer. The only thing electronic in the room is a 1970's flip clock radio ;)

I've plugged it into my crate amp and also into the input of my gnx4 and its noticeable and displays the same characteristics.

I've installed a brand new battery and opened the electronics cover to make sure there were no loose or touching wires but that's really all I can think of. I'm going to borrow a buddy's gax 70 tonight to see if it does the same thing but he was here a couple weeks ago and I don't remember it being like that. (could be wrong though)

I'm not sure where to go from here - is it possible it could be miswired? I haven't contacted ESP support yet but that may be my next option.

ANy advice on troubleshooting further?

Does it have the quick connect wires? maybe they could be loose, just a thought.:|

DeathrollJM

if the characteristics change when you mive the guitar, thas a 1000000% assurance that it is not your guitar, but some electric-magnetical interference.

try unplugging the clock radio, if its older even turned off they can still give a fucked up amount of radio interference, which can do a number on your guitar, even up to 7 feet away.

you could always have some fucked up or exposed wiring in your house, or theres something else that you cannot see.

if it was your guitar the noise would remain consistent, no matter where the guitar is.

markheus

Is there some type of interference that would cause hissing with an active pickup but not with a regular one?

Oh, and unplugged the alarm clock - and tried multiple electric outlets.....

Post to Thread