Setting up a guitar for drop B tuning

Updated
Nostradamus
Hi, I am going to be re-tuning one of my guitars, currently in standard E, to drop B, the lowest tuning I have tried so far. I know I am going to need some heavier gauge strings (I'm going with 11-56) but will I have to make other adjustments to the truss rod or tail piece for intonation?
DeathrollJM

other than changing the strings, adjusting the intonation, you are good, if you get the right gadge strings, you might not have to touch the truss rod, if not then you have a minor truss rod adjustment to do.

that is if you dont have an FR o floating bridge.

Nostradamus

No FR, just TOM and tailpiece. What is the best way to see if the truss rod needs adjusting. Hold the guitar up and look down the neck and see if it is straight?

DeathrollJM

yup, if it bows just compensate it by a few turns, honestly you don't have to get it to the thousandth of an inch, you eyes will do a very coarse and a moderate fine job, any more fine tunning is trivial, and barely noticeable. there will be a slight curve on the fretboard right before it reaches the nut, so that is normal.

most likely if you played standard with 10-48, drop B in 11-56 wont move the truss rod, i wouldn't even worry unless i was getting strong fretbuzz.

57Octane

Ive got a beater in Drop-B with .10-.52's. It's a shitty guitar so it buzzes regardless, but I didn't really have to mess with it much. It's intonated and the neck is straight. Sounds pretty damn cool IMO. I like messing around with it. :D

Nostradamus

Yeah I've been learning a bunch of Machine Head songs recently and would really like a guitar dedicated to that tuning so I don't have to keep switching around all the time, thats why I am doing this. Thanks for the help so far.

DeathrollJM

Yeah I've been learning a bunch of Machine Head songs recently and would really like a guitar dedicated to that tuning so I don't have to keep switching around all the time, thats why I am doing this. Thanks for the help so far.

you must be talking about old machine head, because they're re playing in drop-c now

Mofoski9000

i've always played in low tunings. all i've ever done was change the strings and had no problems at all.

Mr Pigwalk

i've always played in low tunings. all i've ever done was change the strings and had no problems at all.

+1 Same here.

Nostradamus

I'm pretty sure its - B F# B E G# C# - on the last two albums

asbloodrunsblack

yeah machine head are in B F# B E G# C#/ C# for through the ashes , the burning red ..... , the more things change , and the blackening . dunno about supercharger i dont bother with it

gorsch

actually, Burn My Eyes is D standard down to 430hz instead of 440hz and for a few songs they drop the D to C. They also do that on the Blackening. Aesthetics of Hate is standard D (430hz). The rest is B but I believe they tune up from 440hz to 450hz. I know it's strange. I got a chance to talk gear with Rob and his tech. Anyway, pretty much if Rob is using his Warlock it's standard D 430hz but D standard 440 would work. And if it's his kick ass V, B would work. You may hear a slight difference, mainly for all the natural harmonics they use.

-old/blood for blood/block/aesthetics of hate and maybe a few others I havent learned yet off the Blackening are D standard.
-The rest off Burn my Eyes are dropped C
-The rest are B F# B E G# C#.

gorsch

Let me know if ya need help figuring out some parts. I have a lot of free time so I've learned most their songs. Of course except from Supercharger. I just learned the good 1 (Bulldozer) from that, and they're all pretty easy on that album.

Nostradamus

Yeah I just learnt Imperium, Halo, and Now I Lay Thee Down
Plan on learning Slanderous and maybe Vim or Wipe The Tears next.
I'm pretty sure the ones I have been learning so far are in B.

By the way is the main riff in Imperium this:

--20---------------------
-----------53------------
------2222------22225222

Or:

--20---------------------
-----------53------------
------2222------22226300

?

I'm pretty sure its the first but a lot of the tabs I've found seem to contradict each other

Also, dumbass question, what is the difference between 440 and 450hz :o

gorsch

------20------------------- ------------
--------------53----------- repeat but PH on ----9-------
---------0000---0000630000 ------------

instead of -----0000630000---- or atleast thats what I play.

but it's been a while since I've gone through that one.
The normal pitch is 440. It's known as concert pitch. Most tuners now have the ability to change what "normal" is. Say you were playing with a real piano and you noticed that your guitar is a little off from the piano but you are "in tune" perfectly. Instaed of trying to tune a piano you can find out how many hz the piano is off by and tune correctly to that. Simply put, 430hz like tuning down from 440 less than a quarter step. If you want to know more I'll write tomarrow. I've gotta leave work and go to practice. Cold beer is calling my name.

DeathrollJM

i just checked an the blackening is in standard D, drop-c, don't believe me play along with it, double check it and if it sounds right in drop b, you might want to double check your tuning as well.

gorsch

i just checked an the blackening is in standard D, drop-c, don't believe me play along with it, double check it and if it sounds right in drop b, you might want to double check your tuning as well.

your right. The only reason B might sound close is because they tune slightly sharper. It's not really D standard (or dropped C) or C# standard (or dropped B) it's in between because they tune to 430hz as oppesed to 440hz. Dime did things like that through his whole career. You bring out harmonics that arent usually heard. Google it. I actually prefer to play tuned to 430hz myself, but it's harder for recording because everything is slightly flat. You can do it but most the guys I've recorded with dont want to bother changing anything.

gorsch

oh, sorry. The original question was "whats the difference between 440 and 450?" 450hz is sharper. So on TTAOTE (ashes) they tune to dropped B but slightly sharp. I forget how many hz are in a step but think of it as tunning up a quarter step, but it's really less than a quarter step.

Nostradamus

Is it also like that on the Blackening? Sorry I'm getting a tad confused with all of this :p
What should I set me tuner to for tuning to TTAOE and the Blackening (for the majority of songs)

gorsch

TTAOE is dropped B in 450hz. Blackening is D standard or dropped C in 430hz. Just use 440 for either and it'll work.

Post to Thread