Remove all the strings

Updated
gab4554
My friend told me it was bad to remove all the string. Either 5 min or 1 hour he said its bad for the neck tention? Is it true?
DeathrollJM

sound like your friend doesn't know what hes talking about. thats one of the most ridiculous things that i have ever heard. wood if flexible and can take much more tension than any string can put it through. when there aren't any strings on it the truss rod is putting its tension still, but this tension is not enough to do any damage, again wood is flexible, and it can withstand that tension as long as its not in a humid environment, then no matter strings on or not, shit will warp, especially on acoustics.

tell you friend that he = phail

Brian

It is safe to remove all the strings. Plus it is the best time to give your fretboard a little TLC.

MV-CTM

Yeah it won't hurt it, just don't keep it like that for a long time.

ZephMan

just don't keep it like that for a long time.

+1, you need to finger its G-string

willhaven

The guitar is under the most tension when it's strung up. If anything, removing or loosening the strings is good when storing the guitar for long periods of time.

I always tune the strings really low when shipping guitars as well.

DeathrollJM

I always tune the strings really low when shipping guitars as well.

when a factory tunes up guitars before shipiing they actually tune them to stnadard c just to get the strings on with a couple of pounds of tension, but not a lot. Strings at tensions during large altitude changes can ruin the neck

load more replies (1 of 1)
andrei

the only reason why i like to keep some strings on when replacing them is that, if you don't pay attention - and i don't, the tailpiece crashez on the finish and if you remove the TOM bridge, the screws adjusting the stringhight may move, and i'm to lasy to adjust it every time.

ampartic

Don't listen to your friend anymore.

VortexMirage

when people say that they usually are talking about changing strings with a floyd rose and keeping the tension on that

DeathrollJM

^still won't ruin a Floyd either

VortexMirage

not saying it will, just will add time and frustration

load more replies (1 of 1)
DeathrollJM

^i had Floyds down to a science after 3 or 4 changes.

TaoZen

Necks have a BIG STEEL TRUSS ROD in them.

Take them off...

DeathrollJM

^are you trying to get someone to ruin their guitar?

ScytheMan

My friend told me it was bad to remove all the strings
:rollin

Post to Thread