Swapping Stock Pickups With Teh Emgzorz. Halp!

Updated
MyApocalypse
I know many of you have swapped old pickups out for emg actives. So, what i want to know is: 1. Can I do this manually? or am i going to have to bring it in to the local shop? 2. If i have to bring it in to the shop, how much would this cost? :)
MyApocalypse

Come one guys! easy question!:\

MyApocalypse

Please? anyone? :(

load more replies (1 of 1)
DUKE

no prob, man. good luck! :)

ZULND3R

If you really are unsure of what you're doing, take it to a tech to do it for you but make sure he shows you what he's doing so you could do it in the future. It does involve a lot of soldering, plus you're going to need the output jack replaced, and you may or may not need a hole routed in the back of the guitar for the battery compartment.

MyApocalypse

If you really are unsure of what you're doing, take it to a tech to do it for you but make sure he shows you what he's doing so you could do it in the future. It does involve a lot of soldering, plus you're going to need the output jack replaced, and you may or may not need a hole routed in the back of the guitar for the battery compartment.

output jack replaced?

LordCliffton

If you can follow the directions you will be fine.

Pro Tip: Use a 45 watt or lower soldering iron so as to not overheat any components.
And it's also a good idea to use needle nose pliers to hold the wire being soldered-this way you can keep them between any delicate parts, such as resistors, and the hot tip of the soldering iron. The needle nose pliers will absorb the brunt of the heat coming from the iron.
*Heat can transfer along the wire while soldering and possibly cause damage, even though the part may look fine. This helps to thwart that before it happens.

Good Luck!

MyApocalypse

Thanks to Jet and Lord C, i appreciate the help

ColeJustesen

It is really pretty simple if you can solder. The thing that helped me the most when soldering is to always make sure you have a clean tip on the soldering iron, and tin it frequently.

I just did a project on one of my guitars where I routed out a spot for the battery box, and then wired in a set of EMGs. The hardest thing about it was remembering which part of the jack was hot, ground, and the for the battery connection. This was only because I forgot to look before I desoldered the connections. Best of luck to you!

Cole

Post to Thread