Frets too high?

Updated
StaticRoute
I picked up one of the Eclipse II specials from MF a few weeks back. Mostly I love it, but I do seem to have one problem that's a little annoying. I've noticed on the higher strings on the lower frets if I press too hard it goes out of tune. I notice it most on any of the open D chords. Is it just me or do I maybe need to see about having the frets ground down some? Thanks for any input!
KH Guitar Freak

Don't press down too hard??? :p

The Funnel Weaver

get new strings and make sure they're wrapped enough or gauged big enough for alternate tunings?

TaoZen

Don't take this the wrong way, but unless your action is ungodly high and you are pressing the string so far to fret it that you are bending it sharp, I'd say it sounds like you haven't been playing too long. You need to develop a lighter touch. It will come in time.

Tall frets/Jumbos are a good thing! #1 it makes bending and vibrato easier, and #2 you can get your frets leveled and recrowned a time or two if you use it a lot. It'll save you from an expensive refret job.

StaticRoute

I definitely have a problem with fretting too hard and you guys are right, I need to work on developing a lighter touch. I just didn't realize how bad my problem was until I got the Eclipse. I didn't really notice it that much on my Jackson.

Thanks!

TaoZen

No, chances are great that your Jackson may of had lower/worn frets because your fingertip hit the wood first and you had to press harder to fret the string.

Most guitarists who pick up a guitar with a scalloped fretboard for the first time usually have intonation problems from fretting too hard and pushing the strings sharp.

Did you buy your Jackson used?

Don't bother taking it to a tech. They will tell you the same thing as the rest of us here.

Klesk

^dude its a diffrent fret wire, and the jackson is probably in fine shape, just has a diffrent fret wire, as said. Itll take a little time to get used to, nothing "wrong" with your guitars or ability.

StaticRoute

I talked to one of the guys at the local music store and he said the Eclipse II has a much higher fret height, being extra jumbo, than the Jackson, which is more like medium. No dead spots on the neck anywhere, just higher frets than I'm used to. Now that I have such a nice guitar I just need to practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for all the replies.

KH Guitar Freak

I was actually fine with a scalloped fretboard the first time, even though bending felt a tad funny...

Post to Thread