Double-locking bridge and floyd rose differences? And Black Nickel Hardware help!

Updated
uberwigget
What are the differences of a double-locking bridge and the Floyd rose bridge? I was looking around at the guitars and would like to know because the double-locking bridges are mostly on the lower models. And why I'm at it, Is there anything I can do about my FX400's Black Nickel hardware because it is starting to look weird. Its hard to explain but there are spots where its discolored mainly on the tail. I tried cleaning it but it wasn't just oil. I can get pics later tomorrow if you need them. Thank you, Jeremy
RedStripe

i believe a double locking bridge just means that it locks the string at both the nut and the bridge? if so, this means that it would work the same as the floyd, it would just be a cheaper esp copy. the double locking ones say esp right on them, so... it should work the same though, just a lower quality. corect me if im wrong, anyone. dunno about ur hardware. :)

edit: on floyds (and double locking bridges), you have to cut the spool end off of the string, because the bridge "clamps" the string instead of using the spool as a stop. hope this helps. :)

KH Guitar Freak

Maybe the cosmo black hardware is wearing off??? 8o

And double locking Floyd Roses just means that they lock at the nut and bridge, the single locking ones only lock at the nut...

load more replies (1 of 1)
asbloodrunsblack

yes , most of the time . if the esp bridge is a lo pro floyd you might not fit a original floyd installed , but schaller lo pro floyds are awesome and they'll fit

Butch

yes , most of the time . if the esp bridge is a lo pro floyd you might not fit a original floyd installed , but schaller lo pro floyds are awesome and they'll fit

really? 8o

Butch

well according to the 2008 catalog the kh202 is now a high pro bridge,

but in any case i believe that a OFR like a schaller floyd can replace a low pro LFR.

xdaynex

oooo my bad-i was refering the 203 then,the eclipse style body shape:)

Butch

oh i see, well carry on.

ozzuk1

The ofr gotoh, and schaller will likely drop into most licensed routes due to the angled baseplate that gives more space.

The Schaller FR has a slightly longer baseplate so wont drop into an ofr route...

However I installed a gotoh FR in my m-202 lo pro lfr and it's the same size as an ofr...

OFR's drop into most if not all licensed routes minus the schaller one...

___KC___

What are the differences of a double-locking bridge and the Floyd rose bridge? I was looking around at the guitars and would like to know because the double-locking bridges are mostly on the lower models.

And why I'm at it, Is there anything I can do about my FX400's Black Nickel hardware because it is starting to look weird. Its hard to explain but there are spots where its discolored mainly on the tail. I tried cleaning it but it wasn't just oil. I can get pics later tomorrow if you need them.

Thank you,
Jeremy

with the hardware, it might be tarnishing.

Arcane

with the hardware, it might be tarnishing.

It's not just tarnishing. I've got a 2007 Alexi sig with the black nickel hardware and got pissed off when I saw that it did the exact same shit! :mad: Took it back to the store I bought it from. The dude there phoned around and later tells me it's because of the sweat from your hands. The acidity in it combined with the electrolysis effect from your input jack, wears it off. It's like a coating or sumthing. Don't know if this is put on top of the hardware that's made from stainless steel or what... It can't be that they first chrome it, and then plate it with this stuff. That won't work. :rolleyes: Anyway, there's nothing you can do to stop it, just slow it down. You have to clean the hardware with guitar cleaner EVERY TIME after you've played it. Even if you just played for 5 minutes!! :mad: The guy at the shop told me this happens to all guitars with such a coating. Even Gibsons with gold plating. You're only safe with black painted/ chrome hardware. These are the only finishes IMO which will last well. I'm actually thinking of disassembling all the hardware on it, stripping all this off the hardware. (Dunno with what, or how) And respraying it with black paint.

uberwigget

Are the licensed trems still pretty good quality?

edit- just went to see it and its a 200

RedStripe

everything on esp guitars are at least pretty good quality, IMO. and some is just fabulous! :lol

uberwigget

Ok cool because I LOVE my fx400 and I figured since I love it so much I'd buy one with a trem as well.

I have a friend thats willing to sell me his mh200(im pretty sure thats what it was) with Dave Mustaine Live wires for $250. He also said he'd throw in a padded case. the guitar has tons of wear and some scratches and what not. Is that price about right for it? I'm not really sure what they go for used.

Thanks!

RedStripe

without the hardcase that guitar probably costed only twice that much when it was new... i think it would be worth 250-300 if it was still mint, id want to go lower if it had "tons" of wear... just my opinion though...

Butch

thats a m200

xdaynex

agreed

uberwigget

Haha, yeah same spot as mine.

Post to Thread