Black stuff on fretboard?!

Updated
njrusmc
Gents, I just cleaned my rosewood board today pretty hardcore. I used the Formby's Deep Cleaning as recommended by the Fret Doctor guy. Got lots of black colored shit off. Then I applied the fret doctor and let that soak in for awhile. After it was done a few hours later, I took a white cloth and I still was able to rub off significant amounts of black shit. This was happening on the guitar when I first got it too. It also happens on my H207. Am I doing something wrong? I am NOT using lemon oil with petroleum dissolates, which I thought was the problem. I DID use that last time, so perhaps it is just that shit surfacing again?
ZEPx21

Gents, I just cleaned my rosewood board today pretty hardcore. I used the Formby's Deep Cleaning as recommended by the Fret Doctor guy. Got lots of black colored shit off. Then I applied the fret doctor and let that soak in for awhile. After it was done a few hours later, I took a white cloth and I still was able to rub off significant amounts of black shit. This was happening on the guitar when I first got it too. It also happens on my H207. Am I doing something wrong? I am NOT using lemon oil with petroleum dissolates, which I thought was the problem. I DID use that last time, so perhaps it is just that shit surfacing again?

Ive had my EC 400 for 2 months and still clean black stuff of my fretboard.

Im thinking it was the lemon oil i used once also?I used a new polish cloth the last time I cleaned it and it was solid black when i was done.

I guess my question is the same as yours.

Butch

This happened on my h500, i cleaned it a couple weeks after i got it cuz it was looking dull. When playing the black stuff got on my fingers. I guess it would be some kinda dye.

njrusmc

Strange, maybe it is dye ... but this is SOLID black, not like dark brown. Thats why I figured it may have been petrol from the lemon oil. When I used the lemon oil it was really deep black, this time it was a little less but still significant. When I wipe down my strings after playing, the black shit is on them too.

Butch: it also gets on my fingers. Did you use lemon oil ever to clean it?

Butch

, the black shit is on them too.

Butch: it also gets on my fingers.

come on dude!
:x:x:x:x:x

sorry i just had to. :o

anways i use the dunlop 01 02 cleaner and prep thing. I suspect the aclohol does it. but yeah the dyes are very dark to my knowledge. I guess this will continue to happen till it all comes off,

funny thing is the the wood is very dull and not very dark.

anyone know what can be applied to seal the finish or something like that
?

njrusmc

Sure, there are varnishes and coatings, but I would rather have the natural wood on top. Most maple boards are finished to my knowledge. I would personally rather have the fret doctor do his job than have a finish over my fretboard, but thats just me.

Butch

yeah i hear ya,

Post to Thread