String height problem

Updated
Hisashi
Hi, my guitar has fret buzz all over, now that ive sorted it out I think my action is too high. When I fret the frst string and measure the height of the 12 fret its 4mm. This gap huge?
Bridge The Void

Check your neck relief, see how bowed the neck is. Might need a truss rod re-jig.

Hisashi

Ill post abit more info, I got the guitar from japan brand new, am pretty sure they slacked the strings off for transportation. The guitar is now running on 9's. Am kinda new to the workings of the truss rod. Say if I have my guitar laying flat on the ground, should the neck be bowing down slightly, is that what you mean?

Thanks

Butch

whats a truss rod?

njrusmc

A truss rod is a steel rod with a hex head that runs down the neck of a guitar. You access the head by removing the plastic/metal plate on the bottom of the headstock where the nut is. You adjust it with a hex wrench/alan key. Personally, I would not adjust it myself, I destroyed an old guitar doing that. Major bows in the neck, bad fret buzz, ass sound. Take it to a shop.

KH Guitar Freak

Hold down the first and last fret, and see if there's any gap somewhere around the 9th fret or something...

DeathrollJM

you want the neck to be pretty much flat and running parallel with the strings, with no bow, if the middle of the neck dips down then the truss rod is too tight and you need to loosen it. If the middle of the neck bows up then you need to tighten it.

its not hard to do yourself, with an Allen wrench, you tighten it or loosen it, (just like a screw "righty tighty lefty loosey") and do it just in 1/4 in. increments at a time until the neck looks absolutely parallel with the strings. Also its important to know that most guitars have to have a slight bow right before going into the nut, just something that it needed for playability, even if you get the fretboard mostly flat, there will still be a slight curve right before the fretboard reaches the nut, so don't freak out about that.

once you have that, with 99.9% of guitars this will fix your problem, if your mostly using gain then its okay to have some fret buzz, as long as its not affecting the sound coming out of your amp. but if your truss rod is right and your fret buzz is a lot with a high action, then if you have TOM bridge, you will have to re-angle the neck and/or replace the nut. I'll tell you about that once you get you truss rod set up, just worry about getting that truss rod set up correctly and we will go from there.

tell me though what type of bridge is on your guitar, thei makes a load of a difference regarding setting up action.

Hisashi

The bridge is a FR, Ive tried turning the truss rod, about half a turn but nothing seems to be happening. Ive kinda fixed the buzzing by raising the bridge, now the distance from string to 12 fret on the bass side is 1.9mm and on the treble side it is 1.1mm.

DeathrollJM

witht he truss rod it takes awhile before its noticeable, make sure that you are eyeballing the span of the strings by putting the surface of the guitar to your eye by the bridge and gazing towards the nut, the bow of the guitar will not be noticeable if your looking at the neck from where you would normally play. With a FR, if the truss rod is set up correctly you should have the fret/string clearance at the 12th fret (do not hold down a fret while doing this) this should be about 1.3mm and this is very playable, and for standards extremely low.

Corrigan

Should'nt you check neck bow in playing position?

Bouncepogo

you should have a slight bow over your entire neck, not fully flat

DeathrollJM

you should have a slight bow over your entire neck, not fully flat

dont you mean a very slight bow just before the fretboard goes to the nut?

ivery perfect guitar setup that i have played (tincluding my own) are mostly flat and their action is extremely low, little buzz. clearance on all my guitar on the 1st fret is 0.3mm. and 1.4mm at the 24th fret, thats really low

solitude71

Hi, my guitar has fret buzz all over, now that ive sorted it out I think my action is too high. When I fret the frst string and measure the height of the 12 fret its 4mm. This gap huge?

It is huge for me.
Fret the 1st and last frets, in the middle of that distance (roughly around the 7-8th fret) the string should be barely touching the fret. If it touches all over or is too high you need to adjust the truss rod.

Post to Thread