Emg 81tw

Updated
Mark K.
so I've just heard of this new EMG...what's it like? it's a coil tappet humbucker isn't it? does it sounds like a EMG 81?
ToRo Pj0tR

The 89 sounds like an 85 and when split like an SA,
the 81 TW sounds like an 81 and when split like an S...

sp1ke

The 89 sounds like an 85 and when split like an SA,

the 89 IS an 85 and an SA. it doesn't split, it's actually two pickups in one housing.

indytruckboy

how is that even possible?!:eek::rolleyes:

I don't think you know what you are talking about. Maybe you mean a 85 has part of a SA in its components. Or something.:o But the way you stated it, it would have three coils.

MV-CTM

actually nileguy, the proximity of the coils to each other does affect the sound quite a bit

Pharaoh

actually nileguy, the proximity of the coils to each other does affect the sound quite a bit

That I'm aware of... I just find the "conspiracy nuts" about this stuff funny.

My old shop is where Rob Turner first started EMG when he was basically running it from his garage. We still had a bunch of his lil' prototypes laying around...lil' balls of epoxy with wires hanging from them. :D

I have one somewhere that is an 89 cut in half...I gotta find it. You'd be suprised how small an EMG coil is. Magnets and everything are shrunk down because they basically just need enough to get a signal...the preamp is voiced for the rest. If someone wanted to, you'd actually be able to fit four of their coils in one humbucker housing...they're that thin.

MV-CTM

damn so about the same size as a rails then, pretty cool stuff, just wish they had better tone, lol.

Pharaoh

damn so about the same size as a rails then, pretty cool stuff, just wish they had better tone, lol.

about that size yeah...EMG used to sell this magnet thingy you could put on top of the pickup to see where the magnets inside were. It was like metal particles floating in oil between two pieces of plastic, and the magnet field is really narrow for each bar magnet in there. So it's all really small stuff...

It was really quite interesting to see the pickups progress... I'm not the biggest EMG fan either...prolly only about 10 percent of my guitars have them. Mostly the strat stuff... But it's a neat idea and I can see why some like them. :)

ZULND3R

it looks just like a Dimarzio X2N on the inside.. thats pretty cool!

njrusmc

To my knowledge, the only thing the pre-amp does is electronically add the signals from each magnet. That is what I read on the EMG site I think, and likewise why it only requires 80 microamps to operate. Passives just output the blended signal ... I think the electronic sum is meant to filter out unwanted noise or something ... I am a programmer, not an electrical engineer. Anyone else have more information?

metalhobo

The preamp definitely adds a fair amount of gain. The magnets are weak and the windings are low in EMGs (this decreases string pull), so for EMGs to have the output that they do, the preamp must amplify the signal by a good amount (relatively).

njrusmc

Can you please explain what windings are? I know it has to do with coils and magnetism to some extent, but I am kind of a newbie on this stuff. I was aware that active pickups had weaker magnets (less coils too, I would imagine) and the pre-amp would amplify the signal substantially. But the reason why EMG's cannot be coil-tapped is because unlike passives, its just a single signal as a result of an electronic sum, unlike passives where you can select the magnet.

metalhobo

Windings=number of coils

TheDevilHimself

Windings=number of coils

No.

Windings is the wire wound around the coils.
Get it?

TheDevilHimself

so much for EMG's claim that it's like a mini-bucker

If you were paying more attention you'd know that it come tonally after a mini humbucker but that does not say it is built like one.

njrusmc

Kind of, I would prefer a visual of these windings. Dont take your pickups apart just to show me though :) I will try google.

metalhobo

No.

Windings is the wire wound around the coils.
Get it?

http://www.flyingvintage.com/gcmag/graphics/pafPATENT.jpg
Fig 6

Windings=wire that is wound around the pole-pieces. There is no other wire other than the coils around the pole-pieces. A lower number of windings results in lower output.

metalhobo

Sorry. I was referring to one winding of the coil as one "coil." But the windings don't go "around" the coil. They are one and the same.

njrusmc

Thanks Jet66, you rule. I guess this is why some of the highest quality passives are those special hand-wound ones.

Post to Thread