Problems with my Esp M-II

Updated
Raggi
I have a M-II (neck through) and I love it, but when I palm mute it makes allott of sound from the springs under the FloydRose. My other guitars with floydrose dosn't make this sound. I can't use the guitar in the studio, because of this. Any ideas what's wrong?
MV-CTM

nothing, they are supposed to do that, put some foam or tissues or something between the springs and the body and it'll go away

espdood

nothing, they are supposed to do that, put some foam or tissues or something between the springs and the body and it'll go away

+1. Mine does that too. I love how my guitar resonates..they pick the best woods!

njrusmc

Weave a rubber band through all the springs too.

ampartic

Oh NO! It's ruined, you'd better give it to me now...

Raggi

Thanks for the reply. Are you seriouse about that this resonance tone from the vib. system and springs should be there? That kind of ruins my studio work with this guitar then. I'll have to use my old trusty Fernandez V for these sessions. I love the M-II except for that.

LordCliffton

springs do resonate, so in short they are performing correctly. Do you want to hear that all the time, especially during expensive studio time? Hell no. Do as suggested and put some foam under them. That should calm down if not stifle the noise altogether. It's the same reason some people have foam under the strings behind the nut on their headstock &/or again underneath the strings just behind the bridge & inbetween the tail piece on les paul style guitars. QUIET the things that displease you & affect the purity of your sound. In this case simple foam is the cure. Thank God its cheap, eh? lol

MikeC

I have foam under all the springs in my floyded guitars.

Raggi

Thanks for the answers, but such an expensive guitar should not have this kind of "failure" I'm going to try with foam, but...... I love the guitar and I'm thinking about buying an Eclipse II. Black With yellow/gold rim. Sweet.

ozzuk1

Cost has nothing to do with the annoyance it's the materials and the way the trem was designed that cause this...

I mainly had these problems with cheaper trems my schaller FR's ahve not had this problem, however it could easily happen to any floating vibrato especially.

load more replies (1 of 1)
espdood

Thanks for the answers, but such an expensive guitar should not have this kind of "failure" I'm going to try with foam, but...... I love the guitar and I'm thinking about buying an Eclipse II. Black With yellow/gold rim. Sweet.

This isn't a "failure". It is normal to be that way on "expensive" guitars as they pick the best woods that make the guitar resonate more for better tone. Sometimes even cheaper guitars tend to resonate that way too. You pick up any other floyded $3000 dollar guitar and it would be the same way.

Tom H.

Dealing with unwanted noise from your Floyd Rose-equipped guitar's springs during palm muting is common. A quick fix involves dampening the springs with foam or a similar material to absorb vibrations, reducing noise without impacting tremolo function. Adjusting spring tension may also help, as too loose springs vibrate more. Ensure all parts are tight, as loose components can contribute to the noise. Consider upgrading to higher quality, noiseless springs for a quieter operation. If problems persist, a professional setup might identify and fix any underlying issues, optimizing your guitar for studio use. Experiment to find the best solution for your M-II, aiming for a noise-free recording experience.

Post to Thread