EMG 81/85 - which position?

Updated
Spoonboy
Hey all, Just ordered an EMG 81 and an 85. These are going to go into a basswood Ibanez RG. My plans were to stick the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck Having had an 81-81 guitar I know that whilst it sounds tight, a 81 in the bridge also sounds a bit thin at the best of times. I also know that in the neck, it can provide great lead tones. However, seeing as pretty much everyone with this combo does 81b 85n I'm starting to doubt whether this is the right idea. I thought that the 85b would be a good idea because it will hopefully sound as tight and focused as an 81 but *should* have a bit more bottom end. I know they are easy to swap around once fitted but on a FR type bridge it's always a pain in the ass even taking the strings off. So what are your guys opinions? Is my expectation of the 85 in the bridge false? You guys think an 85 in the bridge would cut it? Any input appreciated. Cheers
Bridge The Void

85 in the Bridge, yes. Enjoy.

Axle

Michael Amott has announced that he will be releasing new Ninja signatre models soon. They will be available in both ESP and LTD versions and come in black or cherry. They will also be available with a Floyd Rsoe or stopbar tailpiece.

Spoonboy

Thanks Axle, your post really helped me with my decision. Fudge-jockey.

I might try 85n and 81b. If I don't like it I'll yank the strings and swap em round. Cheers for the replies.

hermz

I don't like the 81 in the bridge at all. The 85 works much better for me.

ozzuk1

I have found that reversing the 85/81 combo has made me liek these pickups much more.

The 85 is great for chunky rhtyhms and leads in the bridge and the 81 is a pretty good neck pickup...

More companies should stick the 85 in the bridge...

load more replies (2 of 2)
Mr.Dahl

81/85 = 81 bridge, 85 neck

85/60 = 85 bridge , 60 neck

Axle

Do you find active pickups to be more helpful than passive? Should there be active pickups that don't need batteries? Think about it.

imprinted

How did a Bot get through? From what I've heard I think the 85b/60n could be a good combo but like you said try the 85b/81n think you'll like it. :)

Bridge The Void

I like both in the bridge for different things.

The 81 is good for when I want to play "chugga-chugga djent-djent" scooped metal stuff, but it also complements the construction and wood tones of my Eclipse - I can't help but feel an 85 in the bridge would make it a bit woolier sounding.

I love the 85 in the bridge for soloing and a more chunky rock rhythm sound. Haven't tried either in the neck, because nothing will sway me from a 60. Ever.

N3rdAl3rt

85 in the bridge imo and 60 in the neck, i don't really liek teh 81

TheDevilHimself

Given the typical Ibanez basswood RG's sound (= flatter & thinner than Keira Knightley) an EMG85 should probably be quite good in the bridge position.

But to be honest why not just put a DiMarzio ToneZone in there? That pickup was just made with Ibanez RG's in mind.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Post to Thread