MH400NT Pickup questions

Updated
njrusmc
Gents, A few silly questions: 1. Do both the 81 and 85 run on separate batteries? I am assuming yes. 2. Can 4 batteries comfortably fit in the battery compartment? I want to goto the HW store and get a few 9V connectors to solder up some temporary 18V upgrades. Thanks in advance! -NR
Miek

Gents,

A few silly questions:

1. Do both the 81 and 85 run on separate batteries? I am assuming yes.
2. Can 4 batteries comfortably fit in the battery compartment? I want to goto the HW store and get a few 9V connectors to solder up some temporary 18V upgrades.

Thanks in advance!
-NR

1. That is not the case.

2. Unlikely, and since they both run on the same batteries, for the 18V mod, you'd only need 2.

njrusmc

Much appreciated. Therefore, if I opt to use both pickups at the same time, the battery will drain twice as fast? Or, in that case, does each pickup only drain half the current (40ua versus 80ua)?

Miek

I'm not really sure, but the batteries last a realllllllllllllllly long time if you remember to unplug your guitar after you finish playing.

njrusmc

Gents,

Thanks for the info. I just built a temporary 18V mod (grand total: $2.75 from Radio Shack for 5 heavy duty 9V connectors, about 15 minutes of stripping soldering and 3" of shrink wrap tubing). This is similar to my 2nd question, and I am assuming it can be done ... Can two batteries easily fit in the battery compartment on the 400 NT? I am assuming yes, only because so many people have done it on these boards.

njrusmc

Thanks for all the info. I just found this on the EMG website:

"EMG Active Pickups have very little magnetism
compared to passive pickups. We recommend
you adjust the pickups as close to the strings as
possible. Sustain and string movement will not be
inhibited by close adjustment."

I am wondering if anyone can second this? Just by having used passives all my life, I am accustomed to adjusting my pickups, versus automatically minimizing the distance to the strings. Of course, when my guitar arrives, I can test it out myself ... but I am just curious. Oh, and to answer my own question, the battery life is halved to 1500 hours because when both pickups are hooked up the total drawn current is 160 ua (says EMG).

Bridge The Void

That is true, although I still back off my 60 a bit from the strings just cuz I like it that way :p

andrei

i'd say: if it aint broke, don't fix it.

after a while, cheap pots (maybe better ones also) tend to buzz/hash when turning them or in certain positions.
parhaps you shoud wait 'till then with the replacement.
also, if you (got lucky and) have some good pots (allthou cheap) already installed, the ones you replace them with may even turn out to be worse.

njrusmc

"Can two batteries easily fit in the battery compartment on the 400 NT?"

The answer here is no, now that I received my guitar. Maybe if I removed the battery clip, they will fit, otherwise I will have to re-write it into the electronic cavity.

El Jefe

"Can two batteries easily fit in the battery compartment on the 400 NT?"

The answer here is no, now that I received my guitar. Maybe if I removed the battery clip, they will fit, otherwise I will have to re-write it into the electronic cavity.

i've got 2 in the electronic cavity, and one in the battery cavity. like nike says JUST DO IT!

LOL

Dude, I just gotta say, don't replace the pots if you have EMG's. They have their own special pots and jack.

Shreddy

whats the 240v wall socket mod ...rofl?

Post to Thread