Tuning issues

Updated
Bridge The Void
Righto. My Eclipse has Sperzels. Sperzel locking tuners are meant to be great at keeping the guitar in tune, right? The damn thing won't stay in tune. At all. Ever. What else could be wrong with it? Its a standard series Eclipse-II, so i'd expect good quality stuff but...tuning up every 5 minutes is beginning to get on my tits.
idpmofo

sounds like u didnt stretch out the strings....or the strings SUCK

guitarsatbmusic

How old are the strings?

Bridge The Void

I've stretched and restretched. It did this with the old strings that were on for more than a month, changed string gauge 2 weeks ago, been stretching until it settles, then I play a couple of songs and boom - out of tune. Its not major out-of-tune-ness, but its enough to make you cringe on an open chord.

I know about new strings and stretching, I'm not a complete n00b :p This has been an ongoing issue no matter how long the strings have been there.

KH Guitar Freak

An issues with the nut at all???

Bridge The Void

Nut is lubricated and fine as far as I can tell.

fickle19

maybe your intonation is off??

Bridge The Void

I have meticulously set the intonation perfect.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I'm not new to guitars, I have been playing and maintaining all my guitars for over 6 years now. I know what makes guitars tick. I have gone over all the usual possibilities: The nut is lubricated, intonation set, strings stretched and stretched again until they are set, all the usual junk. Yet I play a song or two on my guitar, go to strum an open chord and all of a sudden it sounds horrible.

The only suspicion I have is the sperzels. From what I know you put the string through the post, tighten the lock and tune up, no wraps around the post are necessary. I trust I am correct on this? Is there any way that the sperzels could be loose on any part of the machine head which would cause this intermittent fluctuation in tuning?

Corrigan

Perhaps you could try wrapping the string halfway around the post? That's what I do. Also, make sure the thumbscrew is tight.

Bridge The Void

Well so far I haven't snapped any strings on it...been changing fairly regularly and setting up for different gauges. Don't really bend behind the nut much either...

I'll have a look at the bridge though, cheers for the heads up ;)

Chucksplatter

Sounds like the nut slots need to be filed/cleaned out!!

80sMetalDude

I have the same problem with my D string it will NOT stay in tune on my Eclipse STD. The sperzel just seems to go out after 1 or 2 bends. I can't keep my guitar in tune to save my life... I've tried all the above.

I could actually "hear" while tuning up that there was some play and the note would dive at some points while turning it to the sweet spot.... I dont know if you notice this on your's with your tuning issue.

Contacted Sperzel and they responded the SAME day that I can get a single tuner... one on the way now.

It IS possible to just have a bad tuner don't rule that out.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Bridge The Void

Is that a suitable explanation for why my strings keep going sharp as I play then?

Didn't think of that. Might look into filing the nut a wee bit then...thanks!

TheDevilHimself

It's just a guess from me because apparently you guys went through all other steps.

I slightly enlarged the slots on my nut for my Eclipse and I actually only use .52 strings, but it helped.

load more replies (1 of 1)
Kannon

I have this same issue for the most part with my EC1000. It was beginning to drive me nuts after doing the intonation myself and then seeing a tech. I decided to give that damn Earvana nut a skip.

Post to Thread